How do you sort zip codes with 0's being the lead number?

  1. #1
    Pat Hughes
    Guest

    How do you sort zip codes with 0's being the lead number?

    How do you sort zip codes where some of them start with 0? I have changed
    the format to text, number, general with no luck. I would like to be able to
    do this without having to put a ' in front of the number.

  2. #2
    Richard Neville
    Guest

    Re: How do you sort zip codes with 0's being the lead number?

    The secret is to find the special format for zip codes and format them all
    that way. Select the cells with zips and delete all the ' marks, and - marks
    if any, using the Replace function. Then go to Format-Cells. Click on the
    Number tab and select Special. There is one format for 5-digit zips and
    another for 9-digit (which automatically inserts the hyphen). If you enter a
    zip beginning with a zero, the leading zero will show. They will sort from
    00001 to 99999, but you will find you cannot mix 5- and 9-digit zips--use
    one or the other but not both.

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Pat Hughes
    Guest

    Re: How do you sort zip codes with 0's being the lead number?

    Thanks for your quick reply. I'm sorry. I used zip codes as a way to avoid
    writing so much out. But I have a column of numbers that some start with 0
    and some with 00 and some with the number like 234. I need to sort these
    where the 0's are in the right order in the beginning of the column.

    Pat