How do I set up a drop down validation to ignore any blank cells?

  1. #1
    MLP
    Guest

    How do I set up a drop down validation to ignore any blank cells?

    I have a drop-down list that refers to list of information that is not always
    going to have values in every cell in the range/list. I need to know how to
    set up the drop down so that it only returns values and ignores the blank
    cells in the range.

  2. #2
    Brandt
    Guest

    RE: How do I set up a drop down validation to ignore any blank cells?

    MLP,

    I am not really sure if you can do what you are asking or not, but one
    option might be to make another list that refers to your first list but
    ignores the blank cells or places them at the end of the list. Use something
    like the "small" or "large" worksheet function for this (see the help file
    for more info). Then have the dropdown box refer to this list instead of the
    first list. This would not remove the blanks from your list but it would at
    least put them all at the end (or beginning depending on which function you
    use to sort your list).

    Sorry I can't help you more directly,

    Brandt