Delete Blank Lines

  1. #1
    Charles
    Guest

    Delete Blank Lines

    Hi All:

    I have a file with many blank lines. I don't want to delete them by hands
    because this is a huge file. Is there any way I can delete these blank
    lines wisely? Any advice and suggestions will be highly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    Charles

  2. #2
    Ken Hudson
    Guest

    RE: Delete Blank Lines

    Charles,
    How about sorting the file and then "mass" highlighting and deleting them?
    --
    Ken Hudson

  3. #3
    fiona nelson
    Guest

    RE: Delete Blank Lines

    Charles,

    As well as what Ken suggests, if your data is ordered specifically for
    purpose (ie sorting would destroy that ordering), you can use autofilters for
    the same result.

    Highlight your first row, go to Data/Filter/Autofilter, this forces excel to
    use the first row as the heading row, use one of the arrows that appear in
    your cells and choose "blank". All the rows in that column that are blank
    will be displayed. You can then choose all of these rows and delete them
    without ruining the ordering of your data.

    Be Warned: Filtering needs to have at least one column "full", so if you
    have entire blank lines, add a column that has nonsense (such as a
    consecutive number) in it that runs the entire length of the data field, and
    use that as the full column. This will allow the filtering to work properly.

    To display your data again go to Data/Filter/Show All. Voila - all your
    data is displayed again. Before I got comfortable with using fitlers and
    deleting a whole heap of things, I would save a copy of my spreadsheet just
    in case!

    HTH
    Fiona Nelson

  4. #4
    Charles
    Guest

    RE: Delete Blank Lines

    Hi Ken and Fiona:
    Thank you very much. Both ways are working well. Thanks for your help
    again.

    Charles