Need to khow how to personnalise desktop icons with my own pics

  1. #1
    Toutoune
    Guest

    Need to khow how to personnalise desktop icons with my own pics

    I would like to change the appearance of icons on my desktop. I know how to
    change them but would like to use other icons/clip art/ pics.

    Is is feasable and how do we do it?

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Re: Need to khow how to personnalise desktop icons with my own pics

    If you have a bunch of shortcuts on your desktop, rightclick on each and choose
    properties.

    Then on the Shortcut tab, choose "change icon"

  3. #3
    Toutoune
    Guest

    "Dave Peterson" wrote:

    > If you have a bunch of shortcuts on your desktop, rightclick on each and choose
    > properties.
    >
    > Then on the Shortcut tab, choose "change icon"

    Thanks for responding!

    I've tried that and I can change the icon. My question was how can I put a
    different clip art or picture instead of those plain icons. There are many
    to choose from but they're not exciting. It would be nice to be able to have
    other little icons like for example : a clipart of a red folder or other
    colors, not just plain yellow...

    Toutoune

  4. #4

    Re: Need to khow how to personnalise desktop icons with my own pic

    This used to work in the olden days, but I don't know if the current versions of
    windows supports it:

    You could create your own .ico (icon) files and use them. There are lots of
    free iconeditors available (search google to find some).

    But IIRC, they were severely limited in size (small number of pixels by small
    number of pixels).

    If you don't get a better response and can't find what you want, you may want to
    take this down the hall to one of the windows newsgroups. (You may not get the
    best answer in .excel.misc.)

  5. #5
    CyberTaz
    Guest

    Re: Need to khow how to personnalise desktop icons with my own pic

    > My question was how can I put a different clip art or picture instead of those
    plain icons.

    The answer is "You Can't". Icons are a special type of graphics file (.ico)
    designed to be used for that purpose and are stored in "libraries".

    As Dave points out, you can _replace_ one Icon with another, but you
    _cannot_ arbitrarily use another type of image.

    If you're interested in designing custom icons, you might want to start @

    http://iconfactory.com/

    Good Luck |:>)

    On 8/5/05 9:55 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Toutoune"

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    Toutoune,
    I use this free, small, very simple program to make icon's
    from my jpg's etc. then i put them on my folders.

    http://www.irfanview.com/

    This help?
    Dave

    Quote Originally Posted by Toutoune