Pivot Table, can't group

  1. #1
    Pascale
    Guest

    Pivot Table, can't group

    Hello
    I am new at pivot table.
    I am trying to group the dates contained in my column heading by month and I
    always get the message "cannot group that selection"
    I have checked that the data source used is properly formatted as a date.
    Can someone help please? thanks

  2. #2
    Wales UK
    Whenever I build a new pivot table and start grouping, I generally place the pivot field item (in your case 'Date') in the pivot row area, without any other field dropped into the pivot table.
    From here I right click then select group, and grouping options etc.
    However, in some instances where the source data has been 'dirty' I have had problems grouping when there where blanks or NULL values in my original data, so if it is possible in your case, try and filter this out before supply the data to your pivot table

    Regards
    GarethG

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table, can't group

    Even if they look like dates, some may really be text. You could try one
    of the techniques shown here, to convert them to numbers:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html

    If that doesn't work, there are a few more suggestions here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Problems

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List