Indian Number Format - Enabling the calculation

  1. #1
    Shrikant
    Guest

    Indian Number Format - Enabling the calculation

    MS Excel does not recognise the Indian Number Format of Lacs (= 100,000) and
    Crores (=10 million). That is, the comma is put after the 5th place left from
    the decimal point for 'Lacs' and after the7th place left from the decimal
    point.

    I have an Indian Accounting Software called 'Ex' developed by TCS. It
    exports data in Indian Number Formats as above. Unfortunately, I can not
    process this data as Excel does not recognise this format. This format is
    very extensively used in Indian Sub-continent. In order to process this data,
    I have remove all the commas by 'find and replace' method. If Excel can have
    any feature in Number Format called 'Lacs and Crores' then this data can be
    directly precesable.

    For me and million (i.e. lacs and crores) others, this is very very
    important function.
    --
    Shrikant

    ----------------
    click "I Agree" in the message pane.

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Indian Number Format - Enabling the calculation

    Hi Shrikant,
    You could extract the number with the formula
    =VALUE(SUBSTITUTE(A1,",",""))

    and you can use a custom number format for the result of a calculation with (positive numbers only)
    [ >=10000000]##\,##\,##\,##0.00; [>=100000]##\,##\,##0.00;##,##0.00

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...a.htm#bhattext
    ---
    HTH,