SUMIF vs COUNTIF

  1. #1
    Kay
    Guest

    SUMIF vs COUNTIF

    I have a column populated with dates. I want a cell in another worksheet to
    count how many of the dates in the aforementioned column are less than a user
    defined date. I.e. I want the cell to display how many dates fall before 15th
    August. I am unsure as to how to write this correctly. Currently I have:

    =COUNTIF('Sheet1'!AH16:AH97, "<15/08/2005")

    Is this correct?

    What would SUMIF do in contrast?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: SUMIF vs COUNTIF

    =COUNTIF('Sheet1'!AH16:AH97, "<"&Date(2005,08,15))

    This just counts the instances. SUMIF can add up associated values in
    another column, such as AI16:AI97.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3

    Re: SUMIF vs COUNTIF

    Just to add to Bob's reply...

    If you had a third column representing the number of widgets sold, you could use
    =sumif() to add up all the widgets sold before that date.