Rounding Errors Help

  1. #1

    Rounding Errors Help

    Is there any way to display a rounded number in a cell, but use the original unrounded number when other cells reference that cell in a calculation? It would be a pain to use the components of the rounded cell in the calculation in which i would need the unrounded number.

    I need a function that displays a rounded number, but uses the unrounded number in calculations.

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Rounding Errors Help

    In any cell if you enter the formula =1/3 you'll get a response
    0.333333333 with as many recurring 3s as you can stand to see: widen
    the cell and you'll see a ton of them, etc. The cell's value is
    0.33333 with infinite recurring 3s.

    You can use formatting to *display* as many 3s as you prefer, but the
    cell value is 0.33333 with infinite recurring 3s unless you tell it
    otherwise. For instance, you can force Excel to round to a particular
    number of decimal places with the ROUND() function or one of its
    variations: then, the cell's value is whatever you alter it to be.

    So from what I can see you don't really have a problem: the displayed
    representation of the value is one thing, but the actual cell value is
    another. As a test, copy the cell in question and paste it as value
    only to an unformatted cell. This will display the cell's values with
    all decimal places.

  3. #3

    Re: Rounding Errors Help

    mattflow wrote:
    > Is there any way to display a rounded number in a cell, but use the
    > original unrounded number when other cells reference that cell in a
    > calculation?

    If I understand your question correctly, that is the normal
    behavior of Excel when you format the cell as Number with,
    say, 0 decimal places. Do not use any function like ROUND().