[SOLVED] How to check a range of cells is empty?

  1. #1
    serdar
    Guest

    [SOLVED] How to check a range of cells is empty?

    This checks if 3 cells of the range Target is empty.

    If Len(Target.Cells(1, 1)) = 0 and Len(Target.Cells(1, 2)) = 0 and
    Len(Target.Cells(1, 3)) = 0

    How to write this with a single test expression?
    I need this because i am gonna check it from column 1 to x, not column 1 to
    3.

  2. #2
    KL
    Guest

    Re: How to check a range of cells is empty?

    Hi serdar,

    Try this:

    Sub test()
    If Application.CountA(Target) Then MsgBox "Hello"

    KL

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: How to check a range of cells is empty?

    If Application.CountA(target.Resize(, 3)) = 0 Then
    MsgBox "empty"
    End If

    just change the 3 to suit

    RP

  4. #4
    serdar
    Guest

    Re: How to check a range of cells is empty?

    This should work either, right?

    Sub test()
    If Application.CountA( Target.Range( Cells(1,1),Cells(1,x) ) )
    Then MsgBox "Hello"
    End Sub

    How copy a range to another range in this manner (single line expression)?

    Thank you.

    "KL" <[email protected]>, haber iletisinde şunları
    yazdı:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    serdar
    Guest

    Re: How to check a range of cells is empty?

    Just to know, CountA seems to be a member of WorksheetFunction class not
    Application. Why did u use Application.CountA ?

  6. #6
    KL
    Guest

    Re: How to check a range of cells is empty?

    Hi,

    Sorry, my first attempt of reply to this went to your private e-mail. So
    here is another try:

    This makes no sense to me: Target.Range( Cells(1,1),Cells(1,x) )
    What are you trying to do? Maybe Bob Phillips has already provided the
    solution you are after (below)

    Regards,
    KL

    news:eK4IP%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    KL

    Have a look at this thread: http://tinyurl.com/bjgs8

  8. #8
    serdar
    Guest

    Re: How to check a range of cells is empty?

    Target.Range( Cells(1,1),Cells(1,x) )

    Lets say user selects a range of 1 row height and 8 col widht. I want to
    test if this range's 3rd to 8th cell is empty or not as:

    Target.Range( Cells(1,3),Cells(1,8) )

    Don't bother it works fine. Can you tell me how to copy a range to another
    one? Is this ok:

    Range(a1:a8) = Range(c1:c8)

    Thanks.

  9. #9
    serdar
    Guest

    Re: How to check a range of cells is empty?

    Thanks, it helps for possible future miscodes i may do.

  10. #10
    serdar
    Guest

    Re: How to check a range of cells is empty?

    I am sending the code i work on, if u are interested. This version dont work
    properly cos i am simplifying the code and adding some constants etc.

    It basically distributes the records from the main worksheet to appropriate
    ones.

    Public undoing As Boolean
    Public selectedCode As String
    Public selectedRow As String
    Const RTOTALCELL = "L2"
    Const COLTOTAL = 7
    Const HEADERH = 2

    Const CRECNO = 1
    Const CREMAINDER = 7
    Const CCODE = 2
    Const COLDATE = 3
    Const CDEBT = 5
    Const CCREDIT = 6

    Private Sub Worksheet_Activate()
    Application.CellDragAndDrop = True
    undoing = False
    End Sub
    Private Sub Worksheet_Deactivate()
    Application.CellDragAndDrop = True

    Dim m As Long

    'trying.. this will be cleared
    Range("c10") = Application.CountA(Range(Cells(5, 1), Cells(5, 5)))

    Exit Sub

    If undoing Then Exit Sub

    'Blocks changes with multiple cells except a deletion of a whole record
    If Not undoing And (Target.Columns.Count > 1 Or Target.Rows.Count > 1 Or
    (Target.Column = CRECNO And Target.Row > HEADERH) Or (Target.Column =
    Range(RTOTALCELL).Column And Target.Row = Range(RTOTALCELL).Row)) Then

    If Target.Columns.Count = COLTOTAL - 1 And Target.Rows.Count = 1 And
    Application.CountA(Range(Cells(1, 2), Cells(1, COLTOTAL))) = 0 Then

    undoing = 1
    Call DeleteRecord(Target, selectedCode, findRecord(selectedCode,
    Cells(Target.Row, CRECNO)))
    Cells(selectedRow - 1, CREMAINDER).AutoFill
    Range(Cells(selectedRow - 1, CREMAINDER), Cells(Range(RTOTALCELL).Value +
    HEADERH, CREMAINDER)), xlFillDefault
    undoing = 0
    Exit Sub
    End If

    MsgBox "Hatalı işlem."
    undoing = 1
    Application.Undo
    undoing = 0
    Exit Sub
    End If

    If Target.Column = CCODE Then
    'Checks if the worksheet exists
    If Not sheetExists(Target) Then
    MsgBox "Hatalı kod."
    undoing = 1
    Application.Undo
    undoing = 0
    Exit Sub

    m = Range(RTOTALCELL).Value + HEADERH + 1

    If Target.Column < COLTOTAL And Target.Row < m And Target.Row > HEADERH
    Then

    If Cells(Target.Row, CRECNO) < 1 Then

    If Len(Cells(Target.Row, 2)) > 0 And Len(Cells(Target.Row, 3)) >
    0 And Len(Cells(Target.Row, 4)) > 0 And (Len(Cells(Target.Row, 5)) > 0 Or
    Len(Cells(Target.Row, 6)) > 0) Then
    undoing = 1
    Call AddNewRecord(Cells(Target.Row, CCODE).Value,
    Worksheets(Cells(Target.Row, CCODE).Value).Range(RTOTALCELL).Value + HEADERH
    + 1, Target.Row)
    Cells(Target.Row - 1, CREMAINDER).AutoFill
    Range(Cells(Target.Row - 1, CREMAINDER), Cells(m - 1, CREMAINDER)),
    xlFillDefault
    undoing = 0
    End If
    Exit Sub

    End If

    If Target.Column = CCODE Then
    undoing = 1
    Call MoveRecord(Target)
    undoing = 0
    Exit Sub
    End If

    'Updates the existing record on the matching worksheet as well
    undoing = 1
    Call UpdateRecord(Target, Cells(Target.Row, CCODE).Value)
    undoing = 0
    End If

    If Len(Cells(m, COLDATE)) = 0 Then _
    Exit Sub

    'Adds a new record
    If Len(Cells(m, 2)) > 0 And Len(Cells(m, 4)) > 0 And (Len(Cells(m, 5)) >
    0 Or Len(Cells(m, 6)) > 0) Then

    undoing = 1
    Call AddNewRecord(Cells(m, CCODE).Value, Worksheets(Cells(m,
    CCODE).Value).Range(RTOTALCELL).Value + HEADERH + 1, m)
    undoing = 0

    Public Sub AddNewRecord(ByVal b As String, ByVal t As Long, ByVal m As Long)

    Dim x, newrecordno As Long
    Dim myRange As Range

    Worksheets(b).Range(Worksheets(b).Cells(t, 1), Worksheets(b).Cells(t,
    COLTOTAL)).Insert Shift:=xlDown
    Worksheets(b).Range(Worksheets(b).Cells(t, 1), Worksheets(b).Cells(t,
    COLTOTAL)).Font.FontStyle = "Normal"

    Worksheets(b).Cells(t, 1) = Cells(m, 1)
    Worksheets(b).Cells(t, 2) = Cells(m, 2)
    Worksheets(b).Cells(t, 3) = Cells(m, 3)
    Worksheets(b).Cells(t, 4) = Cells(m, 4)

    If Len(Cells(m, CDEBT)) > 0 Then
    Worksheets(b).Cells(t, CCREDIT) = Cells(m, CDEBT)
    Else
    Worksheets(b).Cells(t, CDEBT) = Cells(m, CCREDIT)
    End If

    Range(RTOTALCELL).Value = Range(RTOTALCELL).Value + 1
    Worksheets(b).Range(RTOTALCELL).Value =
    Worksheets(b).Range(RTOTALCELL).Value + 1

    'Finds the smallest possible record number for the new record
    For x = 1 To Range(RTOTALCELL).Value + HEADERH + 1

    Set myRange = Range(Cells(HEADERH + 1, CRECNO),
    Cells(Range(RTOTALCELL).Value + 13, CRECNO)).Find(x, LookIn:=xlValues)

    If myRange Is Nothing Then
    newrecordno = x
    Exit For
    End If

    Next x

    Cells(m, CRECNO) = newrecordno
    Worksheets(b).Cells(t, CRECNO) = newrecordno

    End Sub

    Public Sub MoveRecord(ByVal Target As Range)

    Dim j, sheetindex, rowindex As Long
    Dim found As Boolean
    Dim mySheet As Worksheet

    'Finds the matching record
    For Each mySheet In Worksheets

    For j = 1 To mySheet.Range(RTOTALCELL)

    If mySheet.Index > 1 And mySheet.Cells(j + 2, 1) =
    Cells(Target.Row, 1) Then
    found = 1
    sheetindex = mySheet.Name
    rowindex = j + 2
    Exit For
    End If
    Next j

    If found = 1 Then
    found = 0
    Exit For
    End If

    Next mySheet

    'Moves the record to the matching worksheet and deletes it from the
    existing one
    If Not Worksheets(sheetindex).Name = Target.Value Then

    Worksheets(Target.Value).Cells(Worksheets(Target.Value).Range(RTOTALCELL) +
    3, 1) = Cells(Target.Row, 1)

    Worksheets(Target.Value).Cells(Worksheets(Target.Value).Range(RTOTALCELL) +
    3, 2) = Cells(Target.Row, 2)

    Worksheets(Target.Value).Cells(Worksheets(Target.Value).Range(RTOTALCELL) +
    3, 3) = Cells(Target.Row, 3)

    Worksheets(Target.Value).Cells(Worksheets(Target.Value).Range(RTOTALCELL) +
    3, 4) = Cells(Target.Row, 4)

    Worksheets(Target.Value).Cells(Worksheets(Target.Value).Range(RTOTALCELL) +
    3, 5) = Cells(Target.Row, 6)

    Worksheets(Target.Value).Cells(Worksheets(Target.Value).Range(RTOTALCELL) +
    3, 6) = Cells(Target.Row, 5)

    Worksheets(Target.Value).Range(RTOTALCELL) =
    Worksheets(Target.Value).Range(RTOTALCELL) + 1

    Worksheets(sheetindex).Range(Worksheets(sheetindex).Cells(rowindex,
    1), Worksheets(sheetindex).Cells(rowindex, COLTOTAL - 1)).Delete Shift:=xlUp
    Worksheets(sheetindex).Range(RTOTALCELL) =
    Worksheets(sheetindex).Range(RTOTALCELL) - 1

    Public Sub UpdateRecord(ByVal Target As Range, ByVal b As String)

    Dim x As Long

    x = findRecord(b, Cells(Target.Row, 1).Value)

    If Len(Cells(Target.Row, 3)) = 0 And Len(Cells(Target.Row, 4)) = 0 And
    Len(Cells(Target.Row, 5)) = 0 And Len(Cells(Target.Row, 6)) = 0 Then
    Call DeleteRecord(Target, b, x)
    Exit Sub
    End If

    Select Case Target.Column
    Case Is = CDEBT
    Worksheets(b).Cells(x, CCREDIT) = Target
    Case Is = CCREDIT
    Worksheets(b).Cells(x, CDEBT) = Target
    Case Else
    Worksheets(b).Cells(x, Target.Column) = Target
    End Select

    End Sub
    Public Sub DeleteRecord(ByVal Target As Range, ByVal b As String, myRow As
    Long)

    Worksheets(b).Range(Worksheets(b).Cells(myRow, 1),
    Worksheets(b).Cells(myRow, COLTOTAL)).Delete Shift:=xlUp

    Range(Cells(Target.Row, 1), Cells(Target.Row, COLTOTAL)).Delete
    Shift:=xlUp

    Worksheets(b).Range(RTOTALCELL) = Worksheets(b).Range(RTOTALCELL) - 1
    Range(RTOTALCELL).Value = Range(RTOTALCELL).Value - 1

    MsgBox "Kayıt silindi."

    End Sub

    Public Function sheetExists(ByVal n As String)

    Dim mySheet As Worksheet

    For Each mySheet In Worksheets
    If mySheet.Name = n Then
    sheetExists = True
    Exit Function
    End If
    Next mySheet

    sheetExists = False

    End Function

    Public Function findRecord(b As String, recordindex As Long)

    Dim c, x As Long

    c = 1
    x = 3
    Do While c > 0

    If Worksheets(b).Cells(x, CRECNO) = "" Then _
    c = 0

    If Worksheets(b).Cells(x, CRECNO) = recordindex Then
    findRecord = x
    Exit Function
    End If

    x = x + 1

    Loop

    End Function

    Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Excel.Range)
    If Target.Columns.Count = COLTOTAL - 1 And Target.Rows.Count = 1 Then
    selectedCode = Cells(Target.Row, CCODE)
    selectedRow = Target.Row

  11. #11
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: How to check a range of cells is empty?

    KL,

    Target.Range( Cells(1,1),Cells(1,x) ) refers to the range from Cells( 1, 1)
    to Cells( 1, x) within range Target. It's the top x row of cells in range
    Target. If the target is E5:G20 and x is 5, it will refer to E5:I5.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

    news:[email protected]...

  12. #12
    KL
    Guest

    Re: How to check a range of cells is empty?

    Hi Earl,

    Thanks for the tip, but I do understand all that :-) My doubt was wheather
    the OP wanted to evaluate all the cells of the target range one-by-one or to
    use only some of the cells. If the second was true, then there will be a
    need to handle the situations whereby the number of columns is not as
    expected (one way is what Bob suggested). But it is up to the OP to clarify
    how should this be handled.

    Regards,
    KL

    news:%[email protected]...