Validation Confusion-Excel 2003

  1. #1
    Shirley Zaknich
    Guest

    Validation Confusion-Excel 2003

    On a timesheet I need to ensure that when I enter in the times of a the DAY
    shift that it is on or after 6:00 am. The finish time is not important as
    the start time dictates the shift. For example, someone may start at 7:30
    and work thro to 3:30 (or 15:50), this equals a day shift. I may have
    someone else who starts at 6:00 am and finishes at 10:00 am, this also equals
    a day shift.

    I also need an AFTERNOON shift that starts at 12:00 (Noon). I believe if I
    have the answer to the day, this will come easy to me (that is if the Noon
    time doesn't become a hinderance??)

    I also need a NIGHT shift that starts at 7:30 pm (or 19:50).

    I also need a standup shift that starts up 21:50 and goes thro to 7:30 the
    next morning

    These times then need to give me an answer of how many hours they have worked.

    When I tried it out on the existing timesheet with a validation rule in
    place, it changed the format of the times to reflect something similar to
    0.38 (start time) and 0.67 (finish time).

    Many thanks to all those who respond.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert swatsp0p's Avatar
    Kentucky, USA
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2010
    Posts
    1,545
    I believe your answers (0.38 (start time) and 0.67 (finish time)) need to be formatted as Time. In this format, 0.38 returns 9:07:12 AM and 0.67 returns 4:04:48 PM

    HTH

    Bruce
    Bruce
    The older I get, the better I used to be.
    USA

  3. #3
    Shirley Zaknich
    Guest

    Re: Validation Confusion-Excel 2003

    Many thanks Bruce. I did know, but couldn't get it to work, that you needed
    to format back to time. But when I read your reply, I went in formatted the
    start/finish time using the Custom settings of hh mm.

    Thank you again - now I need to get the next part solved.