Solver does not find correct solution???

  1. #1
    experiment626
    Guest

    Solver does not find correct solution???

    Hello,
    I have recently had a problem with excel's solver (until last week I never
    had a porblem). When fitting a data set (trying to minimize my target cell),
    the solver says that either it has found a solution or that the data doesn't
    converge. When I run the solver again, my target cell is further reduced or
    the cells don't converge again. When running my spreadsheet on a colleagues
    computer, there is no problem, so I know the problem isn't with my data.
    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Mike Middleton
    Guest

    Re: Solver does not find correct solution???

    experiment626 -

    Check (and perhaps adjust) the settings (precision, tolerance, convergence,
    etc.) on Tools | Solver | Options.

    - Mike
    www.mikemiddleton.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    experiment626
    Guest

    Re: Solver does not find correct solution???

    H Mike, Thanks for your response, but I have already looked at that and I
    have not changed any of my settings from when the solver used to work for me
    with no problems. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

  4. #4
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Solver does not find correct solution???

    For non-linear non-convex problems, Solver, like most other
    optimization packages, cannot guarantee a global optimum. It might
    work depending on the options selected as well as the starting values
    for a specific solution attempt.

    As far as not changing any setting from when solver used to work, how
    could you possibly do that? I used Solver a few times yesterday, and I
    couldn't tell you what my option settings were! It is hard to imagine
    someone being in the habit of noting or otherwise memorizing the
    settings for max.time, max.iterations, precision, tolerance,
    convergence, estimates, derivaties, search, etc.

    On your colleague's computer and your own, open the workbook you are
    having problems with. Compare the values of *all* the cells in the
    model. Open the solver dialog box, click Options. Note the values of
    *all* 12 settings.

    Are there any differences between the two?

    Now, what happens if you ask Solver to solve the problem?

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  5. #5
    experiment626
    Guest

    Re: Solver does not find correct solution???

    Hi Tushar Mehta,
    Thanks for your response. I have really checked and rechecked the settings
    many times, nothing has changed. I use the solver many times daily with
    always the exact same model on different data. The settings are the same
    EVERY time, they never change. To make things more frusterating, when my
    collegue logs onto my computer (he has a login account on my computer) he can
    run the solver without the problem I have when I am logged in. I understand
    that the solver can not guarantee a golbal optimum, but usually it works for
    several hours before finding a solution. My problem is that is now quits
    after about 5 minutes and says that it has found a solution. It is not
    possible for a solution to be found so quickly with my data. When i run the
    solver again, it calculates for a few minutes and then quits again, I could
    do that all day... As i said, I just started having this problem last week.
    I have tried COMPLETELY uninstalling office, I have tried installing a
    different office version, always with the same problem. Any other
    suggestions? Thank you!!!!

  6. #6
    tony
    Guest

    Re: Solver does not find correct solution???

    > For non-linear non-convex problems, Solver, like most other
    > optimization packages, cannot guarantee a global optimum. It might
    > work depending on the options selected as well as the starting values
    > for a specific solution attempt.

    Tushar,

    As a side note, the nonlinear nonconvex problems can now reach a proved
    global optimum, thans to the new technology progress. Of particular
    approach is the one based on convexification and branch-and-bound
    methods. This guaranteed approach is also availabe in an Excel addin
    solver, namely What's Best. If you are interested, you might want to
    check out the product website at www.lindo.com. As I know, there is a
    free version with limited capacity.

    Regards,
    Tony