Simple Formula Problem

  1. #1
    bj
    Guest

    Simple Formula Problem

    I enter this formula into C2 ="Y329/"&b2

    and In C2 I get the same answer ="Y329/"&b2

    In other words for some reason excel is not seeing it as a formula but as a
    text string.

    Does anyone know why this is happening? Have I turned on an option
    accidently?

  2. #2
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Simple Formula Problem

    how do you enter, though VBA?

    Mangesh

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    bj
    Guest

    Re: Simple Formula Problem

    I just enter it by typing directly into the cell

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Mangesh Yadav
    Guest

    Re: Simple Formula Problem

    when I try it here, i get

    Y329/

    And if I do TOOLS > OPTIONS > check the box Formulas in VIEW tab, then I get

    ="Y329/"&b2

    If you are expecting the first, then uncheck the formulas box in tools >
    options > view tab. I hope this is what you wanted.

  5. #5
    Dodo
    Guest

    Re: Simple Formula Problem

    "bj" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I enter this formula into C2 ="Y329/"&b2
    >
    > and In C2 I get the same answer ="Y329/"&b2
    >
    > In other words for some reason excel is not seeing it as a formula but
    > as a text string.
    >
    > Does anyone know why this is happening? Have I turned on an option
    > accidently?

    Putting something between "" in general makes it text and & is a text
    operator. So, the entry is considered by Excel to be text.

    What do you try to achieve? Devide the contents in cell Y329 by the
    contents in cell B2?

    Then why wouldn't you enter: =Y329/B2

    Or do I miss something?

    --

    It is I, DeauDeau
    (Free after monsieur Leclerc in 'Allo, 'allo)

  6. #6
    Jerry W. Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Simple Formula Problem

    On the Tools|Options|View dialog do you have "Formulas" checked under
    "Window options"?

    Also, try formatting the cell as "General" instead of text then re-enter
    the fomula.

    Did you by chance mean
    =Y329&"/"&B2
    instead of the formula that you posted?