Help counting items please

  1. #1
    Dave \Doc\ Corio
    Guest

    Help counting items please

    Having a bit of trouble counting items on the following example:

    A B
    1 Apples Pears Bananas Green
    2 Peaches Apples Grapes Yellow
    3 Pears Oranges Tomato Green
    4 Corn Squash Apples Green

    I'd like to use a formula to count how many cells in column A contain
    "Apples", while at the same time column B contains "Green"

    I can do a conditional sum to find out how many cells in column A
    contain "Apples Pears Bananas" and column B "Green", but can anyone tell
    me how to look for just the one word within a cell, when the word
    position could be anywhere within the cell, and conditionally sum it
    with column B?

    Many thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Don Guillett
    Guest

    Re: Help counting items please

    try
    =sumproduct((a2:a200="Apples")*(d2:d200="Green"))

    --
    Don Guillett
    SalesAid Software
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dave \Doc\ Corio
    Guest

    Re: Help counting items please

    I've tried this as both a regular formula and a conditional sum, and it
    doesn't seem to work. Cells in column A contain more than one word, so
    wouldn't this formula use only cells that contain only the word "Apples"?

    I sure appreciate the help!!

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help counting items please

    =SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Apples",A2:A200))),--(B2:B200="Green"))

    RP

  5. #5
    RagDyeR
    Guest

    Re: Help counting items please

    Try this:

    =SUMPRODUCT((ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Apples",A1:A4))*(B1:B4="Green")))

    --

    HTH,

    RD

  6. #6