Special characters

  1. #1
    Matthew S
    Guest

    Special characters

    What is the option / tool that makes a (C) show as a circled C?

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew S
    What is the option / tool that makes a (C) show as a circled C?
    Hi Matthew

    You can get a circled C from the Character Map

    Start > Programs > Accesories > System Tools and change the font to Symbol
    Paul

  3. #3
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Special characters

    Not an option or tool, as much as finding the right font and the right
    keystroke. This is unfortunately a brute force approach: change to
    Wingding font, and start pressing keys until you get a circled C.

  4. #4
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Special characters

    Hi Mathew,

    With the Alt key depressed, use the number key pad to type 184

    ---
    Regards,
    Norman

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Special characters

    It is normally an entry in Autocorrect entry, so typing (c) does it
    automatically.

    RP

  6. #6
    Matthew S
    Guest

    RE: Special characters

    Thank you all for your responses. I learned something from each, but not
    exactly what I was hoping to learn. I'm very new at this approach to
    learning. I'm sure, now, that my question was too vague.

    I'll try it again with more detail.

    In my studies, I came across a dialog box that seemed to set things up so
    that if you type in a C in parentheses, a circled C is what is displayed. I
    couldn't relocate the page so I thought I'd ask the community.

    If I type a (C) in a cell, Excel displays © instead. This is true whether uc
    or lc C is used. However, if I type (B) or (A) in a cell, Excel displays (B)
    or (A).

    What would have to be changed to get (C) to display when that is what I type
    in the cell?

  7. #7
    Matthew S
    Guest

    Re: Special characters

    THAT'S IT - Thanks a lot Bob!

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Special characters

    Remove the autocorrect entry.

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  9. #9
    Lin
    Guest

    Re: Special characters

    Hi Norman,

    How can I get a full list of special characters available using
    ALT/CTL/Shift and the number key pad? Thanks very much in advance.

    Regards
    Lin

  10. #10
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Special characters

    Jon Peltier has an ASCII table that you can download, with all the
    character codes:

    http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/tricks.html

    Lin wrote:
    > Hi Norman,
    >
    > How can I get a full list of special characters available using
    > ALT/CTL/Shift and the number key pad? Thanks very much in advance.
    >
    > Regards
    > Lin
    >
    > "Norman Jones" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi Mathew,
    >>
    >>With the Alt key depressed, use the number key pad to type 184
    >>

    >>---
    >>Regards,
    >>Norman
    >>

    >>"Matthew S" <Matthew [email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>What is the option / tool that makes a (C) show as a circled C?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  11. #11
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Special characters

    > How can I get a full list of special characters available using
    > ALT/CTL/Shift and the number key pad? Thanks very much in advance.

    I made myself a character map spreadsheet for this purpose, like this:

    In A1, put
    =ROW()
    and copy down to A255. For this column, use
    Format > Cells > Number > Custom > 000

    In B1, put
    =DEC2HEX(A9,2)
    and copy down to B255 in case you want the hexadecimal value sometime.

    In C1, put
    =CHAR(ROW())
    and copy down to C255.

    Hide rows 1-8, 11-12, 14-31. They aren't useful.

    Put the following in the indicated cells for special characters:
    C9 ... "Tab"
    C10 ... "LF"
    C13 ... "CR"
    These are the tab character, line feed, and carriage return.

    Look at rows A and C to answer your question.

    You can also
    Copy
    and
    Paste Special > Values
    from the character map to another excel spreadsheet, or just
    Paste
    into Word.

    To see special characters in other fonts, you can copy column C into
    several more columns, and (from row 33 on) format each column with a
    different font (like Symbol or Wingdings).