Help with a formula please.

  1. #1
    jim simpson
    Guest

    Help with a formula please.

    In column "A" I have about 400 file names with each path, for example:

    D:\Folio_02\AL605_02.xls

    Each file contains a value named "ATT" and another named "XBB". I need to
    get these values in adjoining columns. I've tried every variation of the
    following I can think of without success:

    A1&"!"&ATT

    None have worked. I'm sure I have done this before but can't remember and
    can't find any of my old files with an example.

    Please help.

    Jim

  2. #2
    Anne Troy
    Guest

    Re: Help with a formula please.

    More like: A1&"!ATT"
    ************
    Anne Troy
    www.OfficeArticles.com

  3. #3
    jim simpson
    Guest

    Re: Help with a formula please.

    Thanks Anne,

    That looks like what I need but it gives a string like

    D:\Folio_02\AL605_02.xls!ATT

    which is not a folmula. I think I need something like this

    ='D:\Folio_02\AL605_02.xls'!ATT

    How can I get this without opening the file and going through the
    PasteSpecial routine in order to link the cells?

    Can you give me a little more help?

    Thanks

    Jim

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Help with a formula please.

    And the single quotes

    ="'"&A1&"'!ATT"

    RP

  5. #5
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Help with a formula please.

    In cell B2, enter: ="$$'"&A2&"'!ATT"

    In cell C2, enter: ="$$'"&A2&"'!XBB"

    Copy the formulas down to the last row of file names

    Select columns B and C, and copy them
    Choose Edit>Paste Special
    Select Values, click OK

    With Columns B and C still selected, choose Edit>Replace
    In the Find What box, type: $$
    In the Replace With box, type: =
    Click the Replace All button

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

  6. #6
    jim simpson
    Guest

    Re: Help with a formula please.

    Thanks to al who responded. I now have it working.

    Jim

    news:[email protected]...