in cell comment

  1. #1
    BorisS
    Guest

    in cell comment

    I once saw here that there is a notation with which the alt-enter in-cell
    multiple lines (or maybe even without) could be combined with comments. In
    other words, there is something that can precede a comment to make the cell
    know that it is just that. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It was
    something with the letter 'n' and an apostrophe (or parentheses). Not sure.
    --
    Boris

  2. #2
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: in cell comment

    You can have your cake and eat it.
    Click on a cell in which you want the comment. Then pulldown

    Data > Validation... and select the Input Message Tab and enter your comment.

    The cell is still free for any data, text or formula you want to enter. The
    comment will appear anytime you click on the cell again.

    Good Luck
    --
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    RE: in cell comment

    Another option is to use Insert > Comment

    This method allows better control of viewing the comments and printing them.
    --
    Gary's Student

  4. #4
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: in cell comment

    Boris

    =a2*a1+n("my wage+bonus-4 weekly loan repayments")

    The comment will show up in the formula bar but not in the cell.

    Is that what you want?

    To show more than one line in the results of a formula use CHAR(10)

    ="This is one line" & CHAR(10) & "this is another line"

    Set to wrap text and autofit.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP

  5. #5

    Re: in cell comment

    Just to add to Gord's reply:

    If your formula returns text, you could use:

    =a1&char(10)&a2 & text("this is my comment",";;;")

  6. #6
    BorisS
    Guest

    Re: in cell comment

    that's what I was looking for. thanks. Couldn't remember the order of N and
    parens.
    --
    Boris