Why does cursor move position in a cell I'm trying to edit?

  1. #1
    BrendaK
    Guest

    Why does cursor move position in a cell I'm trying to edit?

    I have just updated from Microsoft 2000 to Microsoft 2003. My first attempt
    to use Excel has failed.

    When trying to edit a particular cell on an old spreadsheet I pressed f2
    then placed the cursor where I wanted to add some more data.

    However, it only allowed me to type a couple of words & then the cursor
    moved itself to another position, a few words further on, not to the end of
    the line. When I moved the cursor back to where I wanted it & tried typing
    again it just moved away again. The cell in question contains only words, no
    sums or formulae.

    I'm sorry if this is a fundamental question but I'm a computer illiterate
    trying hard to understand this new technology.

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Why does cursor move position in a cell I'm trying to edit?

    Hi Brenda,
    Not sure if this answers your question or not, but will describe what F2 does.

    F2 allows you to update within a cell, you would use it AFTER
    placing the cursor on the cell you want to change. It gives you the ability
    to type within the cell as well as at the formula bar, and you would see the
    typing and position of the cursor within the cell noat at the formula bar. Perhaps you are
    seeing your typing extend into the next cell. Cell wrap (format, cells, alignment),
    is not automatic though you can force it on for a cell if you use Ctrl+Enter to
    force a new line.
    ---
    HTH,

    "BrendaK" <[email protected]> wrote...

  3. #3
    BrendaK
    Guest

    Re: Why does cursor move position in a cell I'm trying to edit?

    Thanks very much, David. I obviously didn't explain it very well but I had
    clicked on the cell before pressing f2.

    However, I have found the problem myself. I'm ashamed to say that I hadn't
    realised that the Number Lock was on.

    I apologise for my error. And I'll keep taking the tablets!

    Thanks very much for trying to help, I do appreciate it.

  4. #4
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Why does cursor move position in a cell I'm trying to edit?

    Hi Brenda,
    I have number lock on, when using an external keyboard, what problem
    did number lock cause. Or was it Scroll Lock.