Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

  1. #1
    Sagit
    Guest

    Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    I have a file of names and addresses that were entered in all upper case. Is
    there a fast way to change this file into upper and lower case? Thanks for
    any help you can give me.
    --
    S Jan

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagit
    I have a file of names and addresses that were entered in all upper case. Is
    there a fast way to change this file into upper and lower case? Thanks for
    any help you can give me.
    --
    S Jan
    Hi Sagit

    You could look at this earlier thread

    http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...ht=change+case

    or if you don't want to go down the macro route copy the data, paste into word, make the case changes and then copy/paste back to excel
    Paul

  3. #3
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Sagit
    Guest

    Re: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    Wow! macros look a little intimidating, but I'm going to try one. Thanks so
    much for giving the code on your website. I think I will try the copy and
    paste first, since I am under a deadline, but I definitely want to learn more
    about using macros. Thanks a million for your help.
    --
    S Jan

  5. #5
    Sunantoro
    Guest

    RE: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    Basically you need to insert a temporary column and place the function:
    =Proper( ) and copy it all the way down. highlight the results and click Copy
    - Value - Esc. Highlight again and copy to the original name cells. Same
    method for the addresses.
    SUNAN

  6. #6
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    Hi Sagit,
    What do you mean by a file? In any case you want to change the
    values in place with a macro and be done with it without having to clean
    up afterwards and with the ability to handle 256 columns which I hope
    you would not really need but it's the principle.

    To convert a selection on a worksheet see upper_case macro at
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#upper

    You can select an entire column from the activecell with ctrl+spacebar,
    or click on the column letter..
    You can select the entire sheet with ctrl+shift+spacebar
    otherwise known as ctrl+a except to those on Excel 2003
    or click on th gray button between row and column headers

    If by file you mean all cells in all worksheets in your workbook, see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#kindy
    ---
    HTH,

  7. #7
    Sagit
    Guest

    Re: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    By file, I mean a name and address list with only 8 columns: Title, First
    Name, Last Name, Address, etc. I have gone to your web site and find it very
    helpful. It discusses exactly what I want to do. There is a learning curve
    for me, but that's why I'm in this computer business - I like to learn how to
    solve problems. Thanks so much for your great suggestions.
    --
    S Jan

  8. #8
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    Thanks for feedback. Since you are working with name and address list
    and have been looking at my proper.htm, you might also glance at
    snakecol.htm and mailmerg.htm so you will know about them before you
    need them.

    Terminology is important.
    Try to use worksheet or workbook depending on which you mean, instead
    of ambiguous words like file or spreadsheet when referring to Excel..

    For your name and address list, I find it easiest to read if the phone
    number is to the left of the name(s), and address information to the
    right of the name then you can see everything relative to the name.
    ---
    HTH,

  9. #9
    Sagit
    Guest

    Re: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    Great idea about placement of phone number and address. I have just started
    using Excel, so I appreciate the hints on terminology. I will sound more
    like I know what I'm doing, now. (hopefully!)
    --
    S Jan

  10. #10
    Sagit
    Guest

    RE: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    I could successfully execute your instructions through the =PROPER (B2) step,
    but after I highlight and copy the results (Mr. And Mrs.) I don't understand
    how to do the VALUE, Esc. I've gone to Help, and it says VALUE is for
    numbers and gives an example that doesn't apply to me. Could you please
    explain it in a little more detail. Thanks.
    --
    S Jan

  11. #11
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    Eliminate this list dance is why it is so much easier using a macro.

    You have a column perhaps starting in A1
    You placed a formula dependent on column A into cell B1:
    =PROPER(A1)

    You would like to climate column A, but can't because column B
    is dependent on Column A.

    Select column B, then copy (ctrl+C)
    With B still selected
    Edit, Paste Special, Values, [Ok] -- not Escape

    Values refers to text and characters, in this context.
    You will see that the formulas have been converted to values
    and can then remove column A.

    Use of a macro is so much faster.

    HTH,

  12. #12
    Sagit
    Guest

    Re: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    OK, I gotcha now. The mistake I made was in doing a Paste, instead of a
    Paste Special. You are right, this is tedious. But I have accomplished what
    I needed. Now, I will learn how to do it with a macro. Thank you so very
    much for your extra tutoring. You are great.
    --
    S Jan

  13. #13
    Sagit
    Guest

    Re: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    My husband told me that before I can use a macro, I need to have a VB
    compiler. He said they are expensive. Not that I don't have confidence in
    my husband's knowledge, but could you please confirm that and where is the
    best place to buy one?
    --
    S Jan

  14. #14
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    You don't need to purchase VB. Excel comes with VBA which is
    all you need for macros. Before you can use macros you must
    set security level within Excel to Medium.
    tools, macros, security, medium, [OK]

    To install macros you find in newsgroups or websites, see
    ---
    HTH,

  15. #15
    Sagit
    Guest

    Re: Changing file in all upper case to upper and lower case

    My husband and I both learned something, thanks to you. I will check it out
    and thanks once again. I love this newsgroup - everyone is not only very
    knowledgeable, but so very nice and helpful, you especially.
    --
    S Jan