Unlocking a workbook

  1. #1

    Cool Unlocking a workbook

    This may be an easy question, but we have a worksheet that has somehow become locked in a strange way. There is no way to maximize it, and it has lost its upper right min, max and cancel buttons. It is difficult to work with because you cannot move it either. Any suggestions?

  2. #2

    Re: Unlocking a workbook

  3. #3

    Re: Unlocking a workbook

    Have you done this?: on main menu bar select Format; Sheet: Unhide?

  4. #4

    Re: Unlocking a workbook

    Tools|protection|unprotect workbook

    You may need to supply a password.

  5. #5
    Strangest thing, it doesn't ever prompt you for a password, and when you go to format sheet, the items to the right are in gray, you cannot choose unhide. Very strange. . . .

  6. #6

    Re: Unlocking a workbook

    Not so strange.

    Someone protected the workbook--not the worksheet.

    One of the options under Tools|protection|protect workbook is to protect the
    structure (so you can't insert/delete/hide sheets).

    And the other option under tools|protection|protect workbook is to protect the
    windows layout. So you can't maximize, minimize or resize the windows.

    It sounds to me like the person who locked the workbook may not have used a
    password (if you didn't get prompted for one).

    Remember that it's tools|Protection|unprotect workbook

  7. #7
    Hmmm, I suspect that the person who created it doesn't remeber the password. Is there a way to unlock it anyway or copy it successfully into another workbook?

  8. #8

    Re: Unlocking a workbook

    You could break the password...
    (Visit JE McGimpsey's site: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html)