Pivot Table questions

  1. #1
    Dave
    Guest

    Pivot Table questions

    I have several questions about a pivot table I am constructing.

    1. Is there a way to have a column reference a cell with data instead of
    using the drop downs? example - first column in table is part number,
    instead of using the drop down to search for parts is it possible to
    reference cell A1 where a part number would be typed by the user.

    2. Is there a way to lock a table so the columns can not be added or removed?

    3. I do not have anything in the data items or column fields sections, is
    there a way to remove these sections?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    George Nicholson
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table questions

    1) Only if you want to get into coding the Worksheet_Change event to set
    the pivot table field to your cell value.

    2) No. That would sort of defeat the purpose of a pivot table. When setting
    Worksheet Protection, there is an option to allow user's to "Use Pivot Table
    Reports" but AFAIK, that is an all-or-nothing setting. It would prevent the
    addition of fields to an existing report, but it would also prevent use of
    any drop downs, etc.

    3) Not that i know of.

    From questions 2 & 3 (especially #3: not having data in Column or Data
    areas), it sounds like a pivot table *might* not be your best solution.
    Would an auto-filter work for what you are trying to do? Or
    Data>Filter>AdvancedFilter: CopyToAnotherLocation & UniqueRecordsOnly?

    HTH,
    --
    George Nicholson

    Remove 'Junk' from return address.

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Pivot Table questions

    In question 3, you say that your pivot table doesn't have data or column
    fields, but your first two questions refer to data and columns.

    Maybe you could describe what's in the pivot table, and what you're
    trying to achieve, so someone could offer specific advice.

    However, there's information here on enabling or disabling pivot table
    features, by using programming:

    Dave wrote:
    > I have several questions about a pivot table I am constructing.
    >
    > 1. Is there a way to have a column reference a cell with data instead of
    > using the drop downs? example - first column in table is part number,
    > instead of using the drop down to search for parts is it possible to
    > reference cell A1 where a part number would be typed by the user.
    >
    > 2. Is there a way to lock a table so the columns can not be added or removed?
    >
    > 3. I do not have anything in the data items or column fields sections, is
    > there a way to remove these sections?

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List