allow users to edit a range in excel 2000

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    jimar
    Guest

    allow users to edit a range in excel 2000

    I am creating a spreadsheet for users using Excel 2000 and I would like to
    protect the worksheet and still allow users to edit a range of cells in the
    worksheet. By just applying a password to the worksheet I would have to rely
    on the other users remembering to put the password back on again once they
    had finished entering their data. I know that this facility is available in
    later versions of Excel and I was wondering if there was a way to replicate
    it in Excel 2000.

  2. #2
    DNA
    Guest

    Re: allow users to edit a range in excel 2000

    Here's what I normally do:

    By default all cells are Locked. I usually Unlock all cells and only Lock
    the ones that I do not want people getting in to. After that, when you
    password protect the sheet, the section that reads "Allow all user of this
    worksheet to", I uncheck Select locked cells.

    HTH

  3. #3
    jimar
    Guest

    Re: allow users to edit a range in excel 2000

    Thanks for the reply, however, I only want the users to be able to enter data
    in their own paticular range in the woksheet and to prevent them fom editing
    the data in eachothers range.

  4. #4
    DNA
    Guest

    Re: allow users to edit a range in excel 2000

    My bad, I was thinking they could all key in specific ranges.

    Hmmm, how many users are we talking about?

  5. #5
    DNA
    Guest

    Re: allow users to edit a range in excel 2000

    One way would be, go to Tools | Protection | Allow Users to Edit Ranges.

    HTH

  6. #6
    jimar
    Guest

    Re: allow users to edit a range in excel 2000

    Thanks again, however, this facility is not available in Excel 2000