Tool fro entering data in subsequent cells

  1. #1
    Pierre
    Guest

    Tool fro entering data in subsequent cells

    We have a spreadsheet with multiple rows containing data for the same
    item. However, the item "part number" is entered only on the first
    line of that section. Items were separated by blank lines which have
    been removed. For example:

    12587 plastic washer, green 11/05/04
    plastic washer, green 11/16/04
    plastic washer, green 01/09/05
    plastic washer, green 06/01/05

    24785-9 filter assy 01/20/05
    filter assy 02/16/05

    3478 6/32 screw 02/04/03

    4587-105 gasket 04/05/03
    gasket 05/16/03
    gasket 05/24/03

    This list is 8500 lines long. Is there a way to copy the part number
    data in the first column to give each line the proper part number
    without visiting each line individually and copy/down? In the above
    example, the 12587 would appear 3 more times in column A. 24785-9
    would have one additional appearance; etc.

    TIA for any ideas to fill in the subsequent ranges.

    Pierre

  2. #2

    Re: Tool fro entering data in subsequent cells

    Visit Debra Dalgleish's site for some instructions:
    http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

  3. #3
    Pierre
    Guest

    Dave Peterson wrote:
    > Visit Debra Dalgleish's site for some instructions:
    > http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry02.html

    <snip>

    Dave, thats too cool! Thank you.

    PC