IF to ignore #N/A

  1. #1

    IF to ignore #N/A

    Hi,

    I have a string of IF conditions, which I am combining with SUM. I want to get the IF conditions to ignore any cells containg the error message #N/A. How can I do this?

    Thanks,
    Bertie.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    Verwood, Dorset, England
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by claytorm
    Hi,

    I have a string of IF conditions, which I am combining with SUM. I want to get the IF conditions to ignore any cells containg the error message #N/A. How can I do this?

    Thanks,
    Bertie.
    Hi Bertie

    Have a look at the ISNA function
    Paul

  3. #3
    Jay Somerset
    Guest

    Re: IF to ignore #N/A

    On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 11:07:13 -0500, claytorm
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a string of IF conditions, which I am combining with SUM. I want
    > to get the IF conditions to ignore any cells containg the error message
    > #N/A. How can I do this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bertie.

    SUM should ignore cells within its range that are #N/A. Your combining SUM
    with IFs may be confusing its normal behavior. If you could provide an
    example of your formula, it might make it easier to find a simple solution
    for you. Also, as someoner else mentioned, ISNA is a function that might
    also help out here.
    --
    Jay.
    (remove dashes for legal email address)

  4. #4
    Aladin Akyurek
    Guest

    Re: IF to ignore #N/A

    To sum a range housing #N/A's and numbers, try:

    =SUMIF(Range,"<>#N/A")

  5. #5
    jim314
    Guest

    Re: IF to ignore #N/A

    What if the range is as follows: B3, B5, C8, D12, E32

    How do you enter that into the "Range" part of the SumIf?

    Thanks,

    Jim

  6. #6
    Domenic
    Guest

    Re: IF to ignore #N/A

    Try the following...

    =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(CHOOSE({1,2,3,4,5},B3,B5,C8,D12,E32)),CHOOSE({1,2,3,4,5}
    ,B3,B5,C8,D12,E32)))

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, or...

    =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(N(INDIRECT({"B3","B5","C8","D12","E32"}))),N(INDIRECT({"
    B3","B5","C8","D12","E32"}))))

    ....or, let A1:A5 contain B3, B5, C8, D12, and E32, and try...

    =SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(N(INDIRECT(A1:A5))),N(INDIRECT(A1:A5))))

    ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

    Hope this helps!

  7. #7
    You can use If and ISNA to direct the formula what to do if it encounters an #NA