Problem with Equation Display

  1. #1
    Doug
    Guest

    Problem with Equation Display

    I am a resonably experienced Excel user trying to use to enter some equations
    into a new spreadsheet. Something's screwy because the cells where I typed
    my equations are displaying the equation and not the result. I tried doing
    things differently - using Excel to prod me to enter the equation, and even
    using simple equations like "=1/2" to try to get a numerical result. No
    luck, all I get is a text form of the equation. The
    Tools/Options/View/Formulas checkbox is clear, so that is not the problem.
    What can I have set wrong?
    Doug

  2. #2
    Dave O
    Guest

    Re: Problem with Equation Display

    Are the cells in question formatted as text? Try formatting them as
    numbers, or currency, or General, and see if you get the desired
    results.

  3. #3
    Tushar Mehta
    Guest

    Re: Problem with Equation Display

    Those cells are probably formatted as Text (Format | Cells... | Number
    tab). Format them as 'General' and then enter the formula.

    Tushar Mehta
    www.tushar-mehta.com
    Custom MS Office productivity solutions

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...

  4. #4
    Doug
    Guest

    Re: Problem with Equation Display

    Thanks guys,
    I don't know how it happened, but you were both right. Changing the format
    to general fixed the problem.
    Doug