How to avoid .lnk files being created in root(C:)

  1. #1
    Nagachandra Sekhar Grandhi
    Guest

    How to avoid .lnk files being created in root(C:)

    I have written a VB application which accesses an excel file from the
    network drive and import the data into the database. We need to run this job
    under a user previleges in an unattended mode(means without actually logging
    into the system). So, we have modified the dcom settings of the
    application's component to give the necessary launch permissions to the user
    who runs the job.

    The problem is with .lnk files (means shortcut files) are being created in
    the root drive. We supsect that the problem is with the profile. Because if
    we see the .lnk files properties, they are pointing to the physical folders
    and files of the network drive.

    Could someone help on this?

    --
    Bye For Now,
    Chandu.

  2. #2

    Re: How to avoid .lnk files being created in root(C:)

    Jim Rech posted this awhile ago:

    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...bcb9e1d640d6b3

    or

    http://snipurl.com/haco

    Jim's guess was that windows was confused about where the entry in the windows
    registry for Recent (Recently used files) was pointing at the desktop.

    9.0 represents the version of excel.

    9.0 xl2k
    10.0 xl2002
    11.0 xl2003

  3. #3
    Nagachandra Sekhar Grandhi
    Guest

    Re: How to avoid .lnk files being created in root(C:)

    But when we checked for the same,
    "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\10.0\Common\General\RecentFiles
    " is pointing to Recent only.

    -Chandu.

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: How to avoid .lnk files being created in root(C:)

    Sorry, I don't have another guess.

    Maybe someone else will.