Formula to count text and alert me if a text appears more than twi

  1. #1
    Mike
    Guest

    Formula to count text and alert me if a text appears more than twi

    Hi

    I have a column of text and I need to be alerted if the same text appears
    more than twice in the column. The column changes on a regular basis. e.g.

    Tom
    Tom
    Jane
    Mary
    Tom

    "ALERT AN ITEM APPEARS MORE THAN TWICE"

    Thanks Mike

  2. #2
    Bob Umlas, Excel MVP
    Guest

    RE: Formula to count text and alert me if a text appears more than twi

    Select the column (say it's Col D), use Data/Validation, change Allow Any
    Value to Allow Custom, enter =COUNTIF(D:D,D1)=1, then choose an appropriate
    error message on the error tab if you wish. This won't change any already
    existing duplicates, but you can find those by tools/auditing/show auditing
    toolbar, then click the "circle Invalid Data" toorbar button (looks like a
    gridline with red circles)