adding text to existing text in whole coulumn

  1. #1

    adding text to existing text in whole coulumn

    I need to add text to an entire column at once. I need it to go in front of the text already in the cells. The text I need to add will be the same all the way down. I tried to add the text to one cell and then highlight the text I added only and fill down but that copied the entire cell all the way down which is bad. I just need to fill down the new text. In other words I need:

    dogs
    cats
    zebas

    to be:

    ****/dogs
    ****/cats
    ****/zebras

    Currently Im having to add the ****/ one cell at a time and its taking forever.
    Hope I explained that good enogh.
    Thamks, Terry

  2. #2
    David McRitchie
    Guest

    Re: adding text to existing text in whole coulumn

    Not sure what you did, sounds like you selected the entire column
    and used Ctrl+D. To use Ctrl+D you must first select your range
    it may be useful to specify the range via the Name box to the left
    of the formula bar.

    Try doubleclicking the fill handle it will copy
    down as long as there are cells to the left -- or if there are no unhidden
    cells to the left it will look to the right.

    To insert a prefix into cells with content in a selection
    see insertprefix macro in
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/join.htm
    actually as set up it will prefix all cells in the selection that are in
    the used range. If you want to limit it to cells with content you would
    have to modify macro -- see proper.htm for how to limit to text constants.
    ---
    HTH,

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Dragging the fill handle worked great. Thanks !