Assigning a number value to a letter?

  1. #1
    Orphan86
    Guest

    Assigning a number value to a letter?

    I am trying to see how I can assign a number value (10) to a letter (X) that
    is typed into a cell. Everytime I type (X) I want it to represent the number
    (10) in any formulas that I want to use it in. So, if a type (X) in seven
    cells it should add up to 70. Can I do this?

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Assigning a number value to a letter?

    =SUM(IF(A2:A20="X",10))

    as an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

    RP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jay
    Guest

    Re: Assigning a number value to a letter?

    > I am trying to see how I can assign a number value (10) to a letter
    > (X) that is typed into a cell. Everytime I type (X) I want it to
    > represent the number (10) in any formulas that I want to use it in.
    > So, if a type (X) in seven cells it should add up to 70. ...

    One way is illustrated by the example in the CSV file below.

    ---------- cut here ----------
    X,G,"=10*COUNTIF(A1:B6,""X"")"
    G,H,
    H,X,
    X,V,
    V,X,
    X,G,

  4. #4
    Gary's Student
    Guest

    Re: Assigning a number value to a letter?

    Amother approach is to put 10 in a cell, say A1, then pulldown Insert > Name >

    enter X and touch Add.

    From that point on you can use X in place of 10 in formulae. For example
    you can put =37*X in a cell to get 370.

    In your case you can put =X in a column to get your sum.
    --
    Gary's Student