To auto-generate top 3 name list

  1. #1

    To auto-generate top 3 name list

    Dear all, see any body can help !

    I have a list with expenses list by a group of employees for the week:

    Day Staff Claim Amount1
    1 A 10
    2 B 10
    2 A 10
    3 B 10
    3 A 10
    4 C 10
    4 D 5
    5 E 5
    5 F 2

    Expected Result

    Top 3 Staff who made highest claim for the week

    Staff Total Amounts Claim

    A 30
    B 20
    C 10

    Problem : How to find out the top 3 emplyees who make highest claims for the week, subtotal of each employee's claims and rank it in descending order ?

    Of course I can subtotal the data by employee name first and rank it mannually, but how to perform it more quickly and effectively ?

    Thanks in advance for those can concern and help.

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor
    I put your data in a3:c11

    in a13:a18 I placed A thru F

    in b13 =SUMIF($B$3:$B$11,A13,$C$3:$C$11)

    copied down thru b18

    in a20 thru 22 I placed 1 thru 3

    in b20

    =OFFSET(A12,MATCH(C20,$B$13:$B$18,0),0)

    copied down thru b22

    in c20

    =LARGE($B$13:$B$18,A20)

    copied down thru c22

    b20:c22 has your answer
    not a professional, just trying to assist.....

  3. #3
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: To auto-generate top 3 name list

    You can create a pivot table from the data, and show the top three results.

    To create a pivot table:

    Select a cell in the table
    Choose Data>PivotTable and PivotChart Report
    Click Next, click Next
    In Step 3, click the Layout button
    Drag Staff to the Row area, and Claim Amount to the Data area
    Double-click the Staff button, and click the Advanced button
    For Top Ten AutoShow, select On, and set the number to 3
    Click OK, OK, OK, Finish

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List