Windows in TaskBar in Excel doesn't Work the Same as in Word

  1. #1
    msander508
    Guest

    Windows in TaskBar in Excel doesn't Work the Same as in Word

    I'm using the Windows in Taskbar option in Excel 2002. I use this option in
    Word 2002. In Word when I have two documents open, each document opens up in
    its own window (essentially, it's like having two Word programs open at the
    same time). I can drag one window over to my second monitor and each window
    acts independent of another. When I use the Windows in Taskbar option in
    Excel, it does not behave the same. It holds each document in the same
    window - even though each document appears separately in the taskbar. Is
    this a limitation of Excel 2002 or a bug or a known issue? It's as if Excel
    can't separate each spreadsheet. If I minimize one window and then click on
    the other spreadsheet in the taskbar, that window is too minimized. I want
    to open up a spreadsheet on one monitor and open up the second spreadsheet on
    my second monitor. As I mentioned, this feature works in Word when using the
    Windows in Taskbar option.

  2. #2

    Re: Windows in TaskBar in Excel doesn't Work the Same as in Word

    I think it's just a design difference--but you're right, MSWord and Excel do
    behave differently.

    I've seen a few posts that saying opening a second instance of excel will allow
    your multiple monitors to work nicely.

    I'd start that second instance of excel by having another shortcut to the
    excel.exe on the desktop or just windows start button|run|Excel.

    But be aware having different instances of excel will make communication between
    the two instances more difficult (try copying cells with formulas and pasting to
    a workbook open in a different instance of excel).