COUNTIF:series of discontinuous cells

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    nsharpe
    Guest

    COUNTIF:series of discontinuous cells

    COUNTIF seems to require a continuous range of cells to be inserted in the
    formula.
    I have a series of discontinuous cells from which I wish to count all those
    that have the value 1.
    COUNTIF((A1,C3,D5),1) for example returns #VALUE#. Using colons as
    separators does not work either.
    Any suggestions?

  2. #2
    WLMPilot
    Guest

    re: COUNTIF:series of discontinuous cells

    I tried the formula as a range and it worked. The formula I used was:

    =COUNTIF(A1:D5,1)

    Hope this helps,
    Les

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    re: COUNTIF:series of discontinuous cells

    One way:

    =(A1=1)+(C3=1)+(D5=1)

  4. #4
    Vincnet.
    Guest

    re: COUNTIF:series of discontinuous cells

    Maybe....
    Insert/Name/Define
    =A1,C3,D5
    as RangeTest for example
    and then: =COUNTIF(RangeTest,1)
    Does it help?
    --
    A+

    V.

  5. #5
    Vincnet.
    Guest

    re: COUNTIF:series of discontinuous cells

    forget it....
    --
    A+

    V.

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey

    "Vincnet." <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Maybe....
    > Insert/Name/Define
    > =A1,C3,D5
    > as RangeTest for example
    > and then: =COUNTIF(RangeTest,1)
    > Does it help?

    Did you try it yourself?

  7. #7
    CLR
    Guest

    re: COUNTIF:series of discontinuous cells

    Brute force.......

    =SUM(COUNTIF(A1,1),COUNTIF(C3,1),COUNTIF(D5,1))

    Vaya con Dios,
    Chuck, CABGx3

  8. #8
    Sandy Mann
    Guest

    re: COUNTIF:series of discontinuous cells

    I don't say that it is a good solution but try:

    =SUM(COUNTIF(INDIRECT({"A1","C3","D5"}),1))

    Sandy
    [email protected]
    Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk

    news:[email protected]...