How do I stop Excel auto formatting the text 3-4 as 04 Apr?

  1. #1
    ahughf
    Guest

    How do I stop Excel auto formatting the text 3-4 as 04 Apr?

    I run a web query that imports soccer results to Excel. Unfortunately the web
    site formats the result as 3-1 for example. This text is automatically
    converted to 03 Jan by Excel. I can't seem to stop this happening, even if I
    explicitly set the cell format to text. Doing so just converts the contents,
    which were a date, to the internal date number and if I re load the data it
    reverts to 03 Jan again. Does anyone know how I might get excel to leave the
    format of the cells alone?

    thanks ahughf

  2. #2
    Peo Sjoblom
    Guest

    Re: How do I stop Excel auto formatting the text 3-4 as 04 Apr?

    There is no turn off for this, you can either preformat the cells as text or
    precede the entry with an apostrophe '

    Peo Sjoblom

    (No private emails please)

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    ahughf
    Guest

    Re: How do I stop Excel auto formatting the text 3-4 as 04 Apr?

    Unfortunately I cant alter the data on the way in as it comes from a web
    query from a site I have no control over. Also preformatting the destinations
    cells as text makes no difference, good old excel knows better and just turns
    them back to date as the data comes in.

    thanks anyway, it has forced me to brush up my VBA skills as I couldn't
    stand seeing Manchester united beeting west brom by the 3rd of January any
    longer!

  4. #4
    Forum Contributor
    6,195
    Does this indicate that you are inputting as a .csv (etc) file?

    If so, rename the file to .txt, and in the input process use Separated by = Comma (etc) and highlight the selected column in the Column Data Format screen (third in the wizard) and tick this to be TEXT.

    This will maintain the format as 3-2 and not convert it to 2nd March

    (note, I am unfamiliar with 'web query input')

    Quote Originally Posted by ahughf

    "Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

    > There is no turn off for this, you can either preformat the cells as text or
    > precede the entry with an apostrophe '
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Peo Sjoblom
    >
    > (No private emails please)
    >

    > "ahughf" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >I run a web query that imports soccer results to Excel. Unfortunately the
    > >web
    > > site formats the result as 3-1 for example. This text is automatically
    > > converted to 03 Jan by Excel. I can't seem to stop this happening, even if
    > > explicitly set the cell format to text. Doing so just converts the
    > > contents,
    > > which were a date, to the internal date number and if I re load the data
    > > it
    > > reverts to 03 Jan again. Does anyone know how I might get excel to leave
    > > the
    > > format of the cells alone?
    > >
    > > thanks ahughf

    Last edited by Bryan Hessey; 10-16-2005 at 06:21 AM.