EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

  1. #1
    hkappleorange
    Guest

    EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

    I have a simple task on Excel but I cannot figure it out. Pls help:-

    I have 200 separate Excel files with data all in 3 columns: Region, Month &
    Amount. They each has a range of records from 100 to 300 lines each.

    I am asked to create a single 3 column table with these 3 fields containing
    all data from these 200 tables in separate files.

    How many ways we can do this ? Please help.....

  2. #2

    Re: EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

    Maybe you could use some code from Ron de Bruin:

    http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm

  3. #3
    Martin James Thornhill
    Guest

    RE: EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

    I'd copy and paste-values from source to destination, then mark up the source
    files as obsolete (by re-naming them).

    Alternatively, use formlae to link to the first source, fill down, find the
    end of the data range, change the filename in the formulae, fill down, repeat
    198 more times, then copy-paste-values to eliminate all of the links.

    No quick way that I can think of, not in Excel at least.

    If you use Access, you could try to import the spreadsheets into a
    common-format database, then export to an Excel sheet. I don't use Access,
    so I don't know how cumbersome that might be.

  4. #4
    bj
    Guest

    RE: EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

    if you only have to do it once
    copy and paste may be the simplest

    another way would be to use the indirect() function

    if you have a list of all of the file and worksheet names
    in column A (or A and B) insert the list(s) or workbooks and worksheets
    You may have to play with them a bit to get the format proper for the
    indirect() function

    and if the max number of records is 300 in any file
    copy your list and fill down so that you will have 300 duplicates of the list

    Sort the columns
    in B1 enter
    =indirect(A1&"A"&mod(row(),300))
    in C1 enter
    =indirect(A1&"B"&mod(row(),300))
    and in D1 enter
    =indirect(A1&"C"&mod(row(),300))
    And copy these and paste to the bottom of your list
    Select columns B,C and D and copy and paste special values on top of
    themselves.
    Use autofilter and select blanks and delete to get rid of the extra rows.

    you can also write a macro to do a copy and paste from all of the files.

  5. #5
    hkappleorange
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

    Thanks all of you, but the data is in the form of 200 separate tables in 200
    separate files.

    Anyone has a better solution ?? Help....

    "bj" <[email protected]> 级糶秎ン穝籇
    :[email protected]...

  6. #6
    hkappleorange
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

    Thanks all of you, but the data is in the form of 200 separate tables in 200
    separate files.

    "hkappleorange" <[email protected]> 级糶秎ン穝籇
    :[email protected]...

    &

  7. #7
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

    Have you try the link that Dave posted ?
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

  8. #8

    Re: EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

    Did you look at Ron's code?

  9. #9
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

    Hi

    How are data grouped into all those 200 files - is there some 4th parameter,
    or are those files for monthly data, or region data?

    Let's assume you have some 4th parameter (Parameter) by which data are
    grouped to files (when not, then the solution will be simplified). And that
    in all files data are on sheet Data.

    Create a sheet Links with headers in row 1: Parameter, Region, Month,
    Amount.
    Create a sheet Files with table Parameter, File. Enter into this table all
    filenames, when all files are in same folder, or filenames (enclosed into
    square brackets) preceeded with full path, when they aren't in single
    folder. For every filename, enter Parameter. You get a table with data in
    range A2:B201

    On sheet Links, into cell A2 enter the first parameter from sheet Files, and
    copy it down to A301. Into A302 enter the 2nd parameter from sheet Files,
    and copy it down to A601, etc. until all 200 parameters have 300 rows in
    table Links. When you didn't enter full paths along with file names (all
    files were in single folder), enter this path into some cell on sheet Links,
    p.e. E1.

    Into row2 enter formulas like (this one is for case the path is entered into
    cell E1)
    B2: ="='" & $E$1 & "[" & A2 & "]Data'!A" & ROW(B2)
    C2: ="='" & $E$1 & "[" & A2 & "]Data'!B" & ROW(B2)
    D2: ="='" & $E41 & "[" & A2 & "]Data'!C" & ROW(B2)
    Copy those formulas to range B2:D302.
    In row 302, edit formulas to be like
    B302: ="='" & $E$1 & "[" & A302 & "]Data'!A" & ROW(B2)
    C302: ="='" & $E$1 & "[" & A302 & "]Data'!B" & ROW(B2)
    D302: ="='" & $E$1 & "[" & A302 & "]Data'!C" & ROW(B2)
    , and copy those formulas to range B302:D602
    etc. for all 300-row groups.

    Select the whole range with formulas on sheet Links (B2:D30002 ?), and copy
    them. Then PasteSpecial Values, and after that replace all "=" with "=".
    When all was done properly, you get working links to all 200 files (The
    formulas above were typed on fly, you have to check them. And maybe you have
    to include the check for empty cell into link formula too {so the result
    formula will be something like =IF(Link="","",Link)}.

    Whe you get all links working, define a fixed named range, p.e. SourceData,
    as
    =Links!$A$1:$D$30002
    (adjust the range to your real table).

    Save the workbook. Now on another sheet, select A1, and create an ODBC query
    from Excel table. Give your workbook as datasource, and the named range
    (SourceData) as table. Set the condition for column Region to Not Null, and
    finish. You get the table without gaps.

    --
    Arvi Laanemets
    ( My real mail address: arvil<at>tarkon.ee )

  10. #10
    hkappleorange
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

    Thanks. I have reciewed the code it is kinda difficult for me as I am not
    familiar with codes ...

    Thanks

  11. #11
    hkappleorange
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

    Thanks a lot. I think your solution suits me as there is no code. What
    should those parameters be ???

    "Arvi Laanemets" <[email protected]> 级糶秎ン穝籇
    :[email protected]...

  12. #12
    Arvi Laanemets
    Guest

    Re: EXCEL MISSION IMPOSSIBLE ?

    Hi

    "hkappleorange" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks a lot. I think your solution suits me as there is no code. What
    > should those parameters be ???

    It depends on your data - i.e. why are all those data in 200 different
    files. P.e. how are you p.e. deciding, that data in 2 different files are
    different data, and that you don't have there 2 copies of same file you
    created occassionally? The Parameter can be or agent name, or product, or
    region or month (last 2 possibilities reduce the number of columns in Links
    table to 3), or whatever other value by with data are collected into
    different files. It can even be missing (when you simply entered some
    portion of data into file, then decided that it's enough, and started a new
    one) - then you can use file name as parameter (and scrap the Files sheet).

    Arvi Laanemets