Data Validation Lists Across Sheets

  1. #1
    Michael Link
    Guest

    Data Validation Lists Across Sheets

    I have a data-validation list box. Is it possible for the source cells for
    the list to be on another sheet from the one in which the list-box appears?

    I know similar questions have been asked before (I poked around before I
    submitted this), and one fellow suggested that a data-validation iist-box can
    reference another sheet if the list on the other sheet is named. Sadly, I
    don't know how to do this. If cell A1 on Sheet 1, for example, has a list box
    whose source cells are Sheet 2, A1:A20, how do I assign a name to get the
    validation to work? No matter what I do, I get a pop-up saying that
    validation cannot reference other sheets. Help!

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Lists Across Sheets

    Use a named range, say MyList,
    then put as the DV source: =MyList

    Debra Dalgleish has good coverage on the steps at her:

    Rgds
    Max
    xl 97
    ---
    Singapore, GMT+8
    xdemechanik
    http://savefile.com/projects/236895
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Michael Link
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Lists Across Sheets

    Is there a way to get a drop-down list to actually appear, though? I've named
    the source cells, and the cell on the other sheet does accept only data from
    those cells (thanks!), but I really need a drop-down box to actually appear.
    Is that possible?

  4. #4
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Lists Across Sheets

    Michael,

    Make sure you select "List" and check "in-cell dropdown"

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

  5. #5
    Michael Link
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Lists Across Sheets

    No, it's definitely not working. The data in the cell with the validation is
    restricted correctly, because it only accepts data that appears in the source
    cells for the list on the other sheet, but no drop-down box appears. (I
    double-checked that "In-Cell Dropdown" was checked on the validation pop-up.)

    I'm running this on Excel for Mac--I wonder if that has something to do with
    it.

  6. #6

    Re: Data Validation Lists Across Sheets

    If you use data|Validation, then that dropdown arrow won't appear until you
    select the cell.

    I just give those cells a nice shaded fill color to distinguish them.

    But maybe you could add a shape from the drawing toolbar to make it look ok.

    Or you could use a dropdown from the Forms toolbar--but the behavior of the
    dropdown is different from the behavior of a cell with data|validation.

    If you use the dropdown from the forms toolbar, you can assign a linked cell to
    that dropdown.

    If I used myList as the list of values and A1 as the linkedcell, I could put
    this in B1 to get the value inside the dropdown:

    =if(a1="","",index(mylist,a1))

  7. #7
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Lists Across Sheets

    Is the cell with data validation in a frozen part of the window. In some
    versions of Excel, that prevents the dropdown arrow from showing.

    If that's the problem, you could use Window>Split instead.

    Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
    http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

  8. #8

    Re: Data Validation Lists Across Sheets

    Ahhhh.

    I see.

  9. #9
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: Data Validation Lists Across Sheets

    Well, I'm just guessing!

  10. #10
    Max

    "Michael Link" wrote:
    > .. I'm running this on Excel for Mac--
    > I wonder if that has something to do with it.

    Debra / Dave,

    I don't know about the OP's line above (never had a Mac)
    Any ideas?

    That aside, I'm not sure, but what the OP described about " .. no drop-down
    box appears .. " does strike a familiar chord with a past incidence
    experienced (re discussions with Dave in: http://tinyurl.com/cxjpe ) where
    all the DV dropdowns just plain disappeared on one sheet one fine day, and
    all revival attempts were futile. And attempts to create new DVs in the
    sheet didn't work either (no dropdowns).
    --
    Rgds
    Max

  11. #11