Unable to Record Macro

  1. #1
    murray
    Guest

    Unable to Record Macro

    I have a large spreadsheet in which I recorded a number of macros some years
    ago, and now need to update it. Unfortunately it now returns a message
    "unable to record macro" and many of the macro functions are now grayed out
    and not available.

    I fear I may have selected some option at the time to preserve what I had
    done as I shared this spreadsheet throughout our company. Unfortunately, I
    can no longer find what I have done.

    Any pointers to rectify would be greatly appreciated.

    Bring on Alzheimer's!!

    Thanks,

    Murray

  2. #2
    Gord Dibben
    Guest

    Re: Unable to Record Macro

    Murray

    Make sure your macro security is not set at "High" under
    Tools>Options>Security.

    If it's xl2002 or xl2003, then the file may have been disabled by excel.

    You can check by looking under:
    Help|about MS Excel|Disabled Items button

    If it shows it being disabled, you can try to reenable it.

    If the file is really bad and excel wants to keep disabling it, delete that
    file and restore a copy from your backups.

    If no backup, try copying the sheets to a new workbook.

    Gord Dibben Excel MVP