excel sorting task

  1. #1
    Ian
    Guest

    excel sorting task

    I have the following data in a worksheet
    Important note: it is in pairs, that is columns A,B is pair 1, C,D is pair
    2, E,F is pair 3.

    i want to sort it WITHIN ROW on columns b,d,f, with the smallest value in
    b,d or f first then the next largest then the largest.

    For example
    A B C D E F
    5 12 2 3 1 6

    would become
    A B C D E F
    2 3 1 6 5 12

    b=3
    d=6
    f=12
    this is what i want, the pairs sorted in ascending order for b,d,f for a
    given row.
    is this possible?

    i'm thinking nested IF statements.......??? but im not sure

    any help very much appreciated

    thanks

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: excel sorting task

    Ian,

    Try this

    A2: =B1
    B2: =B1

    then copy across as many columns as you need

    then sort rows 1 and 2 with row 2 as the sort by row

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: excel sorting task

    thankyou for your excellent and helpful reply.
    that definitely works for 1 row.
    However i actually have 800 rows of differing values, sorry i should have
    mentioned that before.

    So somehow i need to do it for 800 rows...

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: excel sorting task

    Does that mean that the other 799 rows just sort in concert with the first
    row, or do they get involve in the determination logic somehow?