[SOLVED] I need a formula to calculate the ratio of #'s in a row and column

  1. #1
    KellyKulpa
    Guest

    [SOLVED] I need a formula to calculate the ratio of #'s in a row and column

    Hello. I'm using Excel 2000 and need help finding a formula to calculate the
    ratio in columns and rows.

    For example: I'm using 1's and 0's ( 1 if the item is present and 0 if it is
    not present). So, I need a formula that will show 8/10 of the items were
    present. See my example below.

    Column C
    =3 (sum)
    =3/5 (ratio)

    Thanks for your help!!!! Kelly

  2. #2
    David Hepner
    Guest

    RE: I need a formula to calculate the ratio of #'s in a row and column

    =SUM(A1:A5)/COUNT(A1:A5)

    Format cell as a fraction
    Format>Cell>NumberTab>Fraction

  3. #3
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: I need a formula to calculate the ratio of #'s in a row and column

    You say you want 8/10, but your example shows 3/5, or 6/10...

    One way:

    =SUM(A1:A5)/COUNT(A1:A5)

    If you want to always see 10ths, use Format/Cells/Number/Custom ?/10

  4. #4
    KellyKulpa
    Guest

    RE: I need a formula to calculate the ratio of #'s in a row and co

    Thanks David. I tried it and the result was 0.57143

    Do you have a formula for something like 5/10 ?

  5. #5
    KellyKulpa
    Guest

    Re: I need a formula to calculate the ratio of #'s in a row and co

    Each of my spreadheets are different. Some have 15 rows and some have 5.
    Therefore, if there's 15 rows I need to caculate how many out of 15 items
    were present. If there are only 5 rows on my spreadsheet I would need the
    same but out of 5.

  6. #6
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: I need a formula to calculate the ratio of #'s in a row and co

    If there's nothing in the column other than your data:

    =SUM(C:C)/COUNT(C:C)

    or, since your data is 1s and 0s:

    =AVERAGE(C:C)

  7. #7
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: I need a formula to calculate the ratio of #'s in a row and co

    Did you try David's suggestion to format the cell as a fraction, which
    will return

    4/7

    ??

    Or are you trying to round 0.57143 to 5/10???

  8. #8
    KellyKulpa
    Guest

    Re: I need a formula to calculate the ratio of #'s in a row and co

    I tried this and it's still giving me 0.5333 when I need it to show 5 out of
    10 like this: 5/10
    I appreciate your help!

  9. #9
    JE McGimpsey
    Guest

    Re: I need a formula to calculate the ratio of #'s in a row and co

    That's because you're still not formatting the cell as a fraction as I
    explained in my previous post.