protect formatting but allow data entry

  1. #1
    brucenikkm
    Guest

    protect formatting but allow data entry

    I would like to prevent any changes to an Excel 2003 spreadsheet except for
    the contents of cells. Is there a way to protect the formating of a
    worksheet, but still allow the cell contents to be entered, changed, copied,
    and pasted?

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: protect formatting but allow data entry

    Go to Format|Cells|Protection and uncheck Locked for all the cells you want
    to be able to change (you can select multiple cells/rows/columns to do
    this), then protect the sheet Tools|Protection|Protect Sheet. You can
    password protect it if you wish.

    Users will only be able to alter the contents of cells you have unlocked,
    but all the formatting tools for the sheet will be locked.

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Mike
    Guest

    RE: protect formatting but allow data entry

    Check out

  4. #4
    brucenikkm
    Guest

    Re: protect formatting but allow data entry

    I've already tried doing what you've suggested, but my problem goes a little
    deeper than that. I have several columns in which completion dates are
    entered by a number of different people. Each of the columns have unique
    conditional formatting applied to them. When people need to enter the same
    date in more than one column, they often enter the date in one column then
    copy & paste it into other columns. Unfortunately, this also copies the
    conditional formatting from the first column into the other columns.

    I know that you can tell Excel to paste only the contents of a cell, but
    most of the users of this spreadsheet are novices at best. Therefore, I
    would like to be able to protect the entire spreadsheet from any formatting
    changes and only allow changes to the contents of cells

  5. #5
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: protect formatting but allow data entry

    The only thing I can think of is to write a macro which runs when the sheet
    is changed to rewrite the conditional formatting.

    --
    Ian