highlight duplicate numbers

  1. #1
    css
    Guest

    highlight duplicate numbers

    If I enter a number into any cell which has already been entered into another
    cell, regardless of row or column, is there any way in which my attention
    could be drawn to the fact that this number is already in the worksheet, i.e.
    by highlighting or something similar.

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: highlight duplicate numbers

    Conditional formatting will do it with a formula of say

    =COUNTIF(A:IV,A1)>1

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    css
    Guest

    Re: highlight duplicate numbers

    BRILLIANT - 2 days of trying to figure it out and you got the solution just
    like that. May thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!

  4. #4
    css
    Guest

    Re: highlight duplicate numbers

    I have run into a small problem. The conditional formatting was working fine,
    but I can only have 3 conditional formats. I will be entering many different
    jobs numbers and will want all of them to have a conditional format so that
    if I enter the same job number somewhere else within the same worksheet, it
    will be highlighted or the font will change to bold. Is it possible to
    conditional format so many different numbers?

  5. #5
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: highlight duplicate numbers

    Are you up for an add-in?

    Public Function MultiCat(ByRef rRng As Range, _
    Optional ByVal sDelim As String = "") As String
    Dim rCell As Range
    For Each rCell In rRng
    If rCell.Value <> "" Then
    MultiCat = MultiCat & sDelim & rCell.Text
    End If
    Next rCell
    MultiCat = Mid(MultiCat, Len(sDelim) + 1)
    End Function

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: highlight duplicate numbers

    Don't know what happened here. It should read ...

    Are you up for an add-in?

    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html

    Bob Phillips

    news:%[email protected]...

  7. #7
    css
    Guest

    Re: highlight duplicate numbers

    This looks great. I will add that as it is something I will deffinatley use.
    However, for this purpose, 30 conditional formats still isn't enough (I know,
    I'm greedy!). I need to keep a record of all job numbers for a year so there
    will be hundreds of jobs numbers. Rather than setting a conditional format
    for a specific number, is there any way of creating a general rule that
    should 'any' number be entered more than once in the same spreadsheet, it
    will alert me in some way either by a message flashing up or simply change
    the font colour etc.

  8. #8
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: highlight duplicate numbers

    Are you saying that if anything gets duplicated then you want it to be
    coloured, with a different colour for every different value duplicated?
    There are only 56 colours in the colour palette, and many of them are very
    similar, you would never spot the difference.

  9. #9
    css
    Guest

    Re: highlight duplicate numbers

    GOT IT! I wasn't using the first formula you suggested correctly. But I got
    there in the end (changed "cell value is" to "formula is") and it's working
    just how I need it to. I'm still a novice but very slowly getting there.
    Many, many thanks.