Excel Changing Numbers Automatically

  1. #1
    TomJerzey
    Guest

    Excel Changing Numbers Automatically

    I am using Excel 2003 (fully patched). In ANY spreadsheet I have open, new
    or old, any number I insert (e.g. 5000), is automatically changed to 5. Any
    number inputted has its decimal place moved three places to the left in other
    words. If I use a comma (e.g. 5,000), the number stays as 5,000. I have
    checked the format of the cells, and it does not matter whether I format it
    as general, or number, or any combination, it always does this. This started
    out of the blue. There does not seem to be any running Macros, and Macro
    security is set to very high (I've tried changing this as well with no
    affect). I have anti-virus patched to the latest signature files, and it
    does not detect anything on the system. I have not yet reinstalled Excel, I
    thought maybe it was something easy someone has seen before.
    Thank you in advance.

  2. #2
    Jonathan Cooper
    Guest

    RE: Excel Changing Numbers Automatically

    Just a guess, but check your Regional Settings in Control Panel. Perhaps
    that is messed up.

  3. #3

    Re: Excel Changing Numbers Automatically

    Could you have:

    tools|options|Edit tab
    Fixed decimal places checked (with 3 as the number of places)?

    If you do, just uncheck that option.

  4. #4
    TomJerzey
    Guest

    Re: Excel Changing Numbers Automatically

    That was it, thank you so much!

  5. #5
    Jonathan Cooper
    Guest

    Re: Excel Changing Numbers Automatically

    Dave,

    What is the purpose of this option? In other words, how can I use it to my
    advantage?

    Is it a workbook specific setting, or a global setting?