Unable to run a macro within Excel if the VB code is password protected

  1. #1
    Vivo
    Guest

    Unable to run a macro within Excel if the VB code is password protected

    I am unable to run a macro within Excel if the VB code is password
    protected. If the VB code is not password protected it runs
    successfully. I need to find a way to secure the code and yet still
    run the macro since we will be rolling this out to users.

    Thanks.

  2. #2

    Re: Unable to run a macro within Excel if the VB code is passwordprotected

    The only thing I can think of that would fail if the project is protected is
    some kind of code that tries to modify the project--or maybe access that
    project???

    If you're doing that, I don't think you have a choice except for unprotecting
    the project. (There's no reliable way to unprotect the project, modify it, and
    reprotect it.)

    Is your code trying to do that--or is it something else?

  3. #3
    Vivo
    Guest

    Re: Unable to run a macro within Excel if the VB code is password protected

    No, not trying to do that, but I found out specifically that the Save
    As method fails when the project is protected and it runs fine when it
    is not.

  4. #4

    Re: Unable to run a macro within Excel if the VB code is passwordprotected

    Is it excel failing or is it an over-aggressive antivirus program that's causing
    the failure?

    (I've never seen either, by the way.)

  5. #5
    Vivo
    Guest

    Re: Unable to run a macro within Excel if the VB code is password protected

    Its Excel that fails.... I cannot seem to find anything that addresses
    that situation. Do I need to get a digital signature? Do you think
    that will fix the problem? Could it be the macro security setting not
    at the correct level?

  6. #6

    Re: Unable to run a macro within Excel if the VB code is passwordprotected

    I really don't have a guess.

    I guess it may depend on what the code does.