I have a list of data, fill in the gaps. FILL function won't work

  1. #1
    Triv
    Guest

    I have a list of data, fill in the gaps. FILL function won't work

    I have a list of data in which I would like to fill in the gaps. Is this
    possiable?

    I have age in years in A2 to A100 then data in colums in 5 year gaps (eg B2
    has data then B7 then B12 etc) all incremental. I would like to fill in the
    gaps belween giving me data B2, B3, B4... to B100.

    How can I fill in the gaps whilst still making sure my 5 year results are
    left.

    Simple example below
    age Result
    45 20
    50 30
    55 50

    Many Thanks for any help

  2. #2

    Re: I have a list of data, fill in the gaps. FILL function won't work

    You could select a range (B2:B7 for 20 to 30).

    Then do Edit|fill|series
    There's an option in there for linear.

    Or you could click the Trend box and use Linear or Growth.

    This does the a linear version for each step in code:

    Option Explicit

    Sub testme()
    Dim TopCell As Range
    Dim BotCell As Range
    Dim FirstRow As Long
    Dim myStep As Double

    With ActiveSheet
    FirstRow = 2

    Set BotCell = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "B").End(xlUp)

    Do
    Set TopCell = BotCell.End(xlUp)

    myStep = (BotCell.Value - TopCell.Value) _
    / (BotCell.Row - TopCell.Row)

    With .Range(TopCell, BotCell)
    .DataSeries Rowcol:=xlColumns, _
    Type:=xlLinear, Date:=xlDay, Step:=myStep, _
    Trend:=False
    End With

    Set BotCell = TopCell
    If BotCell.Row <= FirstRow Then
    Exit Do
    End If
    Loop
    End With

    End Sub

    It does assume that you don't have any values in column B that are
    adjacent--there always has to be a gap.