comparing 2 similar columns on seperate work sheets in 1 workbook

  1. #1
    Dan
    Guest

    comparing 2 similar columns on seperate work sheets in 1 workbook

    How can I compare a column from worksheet 1 to a column in worksheet 2 of the
    same work book?

  2. #2
    Dan
    Guest

    RE: comparing 2 similar columns on seperate work sheets in 1 workbook

    BTW, the cell my have a number or text in it but not formulas

  3. #3

    Re: comparing 2 similar columns on seperate work sheets in 1 workbook

    What are you looking for?

    If you want to find out if each cell in Column A of sheet1 appears in column A
    of sheet2, you could use a helper column of formulas:

    =isnumber(match(a1,sheet2!a:a,0))
    and drag down

    And you could use the same kind of formula that will tell you if values in
    sheet2 appear in sheet1.

    Chip Pearson has lots of info about working with duplicates at:
    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

  4. #4
    Dan
    Guest

    Re: comparing 2 similar columns on seperate work sheets in 1 workb

    Does that do a random search of the other column for the number, or do you
    have to just compare cell to cell?

  5. #5

    Re: comparing 2 similar columns on seperate work sheets in 1 workb

    It looks for the value in A1 anywhere in sheet2, column A.

    It's a sequential search through column A, but once a match is found, it stops
    looking. But all that stuff is taken care of by excel.

    You don't have to compare A1 with sheet2!a1, then A1 with sheet2!a2, then with
    sheet2!a3, ....

    (I'm not quite sure if this answered your question, though.)