shared excel file

  1. #1
    Maileen
    Guest

    shared excel file

    Hi,

    I know that it is possible but i don't know process to do it.

    I have several users (5) who should have access to the same XLS file (under
    Excel 2002).

    They would like to open it at the same time, and to have the possibility to
    save the modifications. However, if user A and B opened the XLS file, if B
    modify the file without saving (still open) and A update it and save it. B
    should be able to be inform of new version and save his update.

    at the end, XLS has both updates.

    how can i do this ?
    thanks a lot,
    Maileen

  2. #2

    Re: shared excel file

    There's an option that allows you to share a workbook.

    Tools|Shareworkbook
    There's an advanced tab under that dialog with lots of options.

    But be aware that there are lots of things you can't do in a shared workbook.

    But this is documented in Excel's help.
    Look for: Features that are unavailable in shared workbooks
    for a big list.

    You may want to consider using another application (Access? or another database)
    that is made for simultaneous editing.