Can you use the Time format without the AM/PM?

  1. #1
    Glenn Mulno
    Guest

    Can you use the Time format without the AM/PM?

    OK - I am trying to track data that keeps track of how long an event took.
    For example - a typical data point would be customer hold times on the
    phone. I would like to track that the Highest Hold time of the day was in
    this format:

    00:01:26

    Which should represent that the hold time was 1 minute and 26 seconds.

    No matter how I have tried to format this data, Excel is trying to interpret
    this as the time of the day, not a length of time. So for Excel, it think
    what I have entered is 12:01:26 AM. When in actuality - this could have
    occurred at 9:00 AM or some other time of day.

    I can get it to display without the AM/PM but Excel still interprets this as
    actual time and not length of time.

    That would be fine except I wish to then be able to graph this time over a
    few quarters. and Excel is not doing what I want then.

    Is there some way to force Excel to understand that this entry is not the
    actual time but a length of time?

    Thanks,

    --
    Glenn

  2. #2
    Glen:

    If you choose the "text" option under format cells, it will only display what you type in the cell. That will fix your AM/PM problem.

    Let me know if this worked out your graphing problem too.

    Pete

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Can you use the Time format without the AM/PM?

    It shouldn't make any difference. Format it as you want it, then graph it,
    Excel stores time as a fraction of one day.

    Bob Phillips

    news:%[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: Can you use the Time format without the AM/PM?

    Hi Glenn

    Format Cells>Number>Custom hh:mm

    If you are summing these times, then the cell that holds the summation
    formula will need to be formatted as [hh]:mm to allow the value to cycle
    past 24 hours.

    Regards

    Roger Govier