referring to a cell 7 rows off

  1. #1
    sybmathics
    Guest

    referring to a cell 7 rows off

    Hi,

    In my spreadsheet I have numbers in column A.
    In column B I want only a selection of the numbers from column A (every
    seventh number)
    Is there a way to ceate formulas in column B like te following:
    =A1
    =A8
    =A15
    without having to write every formula.

    Any help is greatly appreciated

    Sybolt

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: referring to a cell 7 rows off

    B1: =INDIRECT("A"&(ROW(A1)-1)*7+1)

    and copy down

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: referring to a cell 7 rows off

    Hi

    try entering in B1
    =INDIRECT("A"&(ROW()-1)*7+1)
    and copy down

    Regards

    Roger Govier

  4. #4
    sybmathics
    Guest

    Re: referring to a cell 7 rows off

    Hi,

    You both came up with the same solution.
    It works. GREAT.

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Bob Umlas
    Guest

    Re: referring to a cell 7 rows off

    And here's another:
    Enter
    A1
    A8
    (no "=" sign)
    Grab both, use the fill handle, drag as far down as you want. You will get
    A15, A22,...
    Now select it all, use Edit/Replace, Replace A with =A and you're done! No
    indirect function, no calculations, just straight direct references!
    Bob Umlas

  6. #6
    Bruno Campanini
    Guest

    Re: referring to a cell 7 rows off

    "Bob Umlas" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > And here's another:
    > Enter
    > A1
    > A8
    > (no "=" sign)
    > Grab both, use the fill handle, drag as far down as you want. You will get
    > A15, A22,...
    > Now select it all, use Edit/Replace, Replace A with =A and you're done! No
    > indirect function, no calculations, just straight direct references!
    > Bob Umlas

    Very nice Bob, very clever!
    I'll record this procedure among the best ones ever read.

    Bruno

  7. #7
    sybmathics
    Guest

    Re: referring to a cell 7 rows off

    Yeah!

    Briljant!!!

  8. #8
    Roger Govier
    Guest

    Re: referring to a cell 7 rows off

    Hi Bob

    Very neat, and, as you say, no calculations. Thanks
    Regards

    Roger Govier

  9. #9
    KL
    Guest

    Re: referring to a cell 7 rows off

    Hi,

    Just in case volatility and flexibility (your range may not necessarily
    start at A1) is a concern:

    =INDEX(A:A,ROW($A$1)+(ROW()-ROW($A$1))*7)

    where $A$1 is the first cell in the range

    Regards,
    KL