Open a workbook in a separate window

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    danA
    Guest

    Open a workbook in a separate window

    Is it possible to open each workbook in a separate window? How?
    Thank you very much,
    Dan

  2. #2
    Ian
    Guest

    Re: Open a workbook in a separate window

    I don't know if there's another way, but you could always open a new
    instance of Excel and open the second workbook in that.

    --
    Ian
    --
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Clarizion
    Guest

    Re: Open a workbook in a separate window

    Dan,

    Microsoft Excel is a Single Document Interface application so all files
    opened within Excel are in a child window. Ian has the only answer to
    opening 2 files in seperate windows.

    Starting with Excel 2002 from Office XP there is a simulated MDI with the
    Tools > Options > View > Windows in Taskbar. However, each file is still
    actually maintained within a single instance of Excel.

    Clarizion

  4. #4
    danA
    Guest

    Re: Open a workbook in a separate window

    Many thanks for you prompt reply.
    If my understanding is correct, it means that if I have two monitors, I
    cannot display a workbook on monitor A and a second workbook on monitor B!
    Correct?

    Thanks again, Dan

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5

    Re: Open a workbook in a separate window

    I don't think that this is correct.

    There have been many posts that say if you have two instances of excel running,
    you can have each displayed on a different monitor.

    Start excel any way you want.

    But starting the second instance can be troublesome. I think that the easiest
    way is to use:

    Windows start button|run|
    excel
    and hit enter.

    Then use File|open to open that other workbook.