Problem downloading Excel template

  1. #1
    Chris Burgess
    Guest

    Problem downloading Excel template

    When trying to download Excel templates from Microsoft Website, I keep
    getting this error message:

    "Microsoft Excel for Windows has encountered a problem and needs to close.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience."

    I am using Excel 2000. I believe my IE6 browser is set to accept cookies.

    I have ASAP Utilities installed, but should that make a difference?

    Any help appreciated.
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Problem downloading Excel template

    You should pick "Save" for the download, not "Open".

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Chris Burgess
    Guest

    Re: Problem downloading Excel template

    There is only a 'Download' button option on the Microsoft Excel templates
    pages which automatically opens Excel. You cannot Save by right clicking the
    button.

    Chris

  4. #4
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Problem downloading Excel template

    I just tried it and you are right. It seems MS doesn't want you saving the
    XLT locally. But the template I tried, the Balance Sheet, opened fine. I
    have no idea why you crash but I don't think it's a cookie issue. Which
    template did you try to get?

    --
    Jim
    "Chris Burgess" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | There is only a 'Download' button option on the Microsoft Excel templates
    | pages which automatically opens Excel. You cannot Save by right clicking
    the
    | button.
    |
    | Chris
    |
    | "Jim Rech" wrote:
    |
    | > You should pick "Save" for the download, not "Open".
    | >
    | > --
    | > Jim
    | > "Chris Burgess" <Chris [email protected]> wrote in
    message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > | When trying to download Excel templates from Microsoft Website, I keep
    | > | getting this error message:
    | > |

  5. #5
    Chris Burgess
    Guest

    Re: Problem downloading Excel template

    Any of the 'Budget' templates - e.g. Personal Budget, Garden Budget etc.
    I've just tried opening the Balance Sheet template as well without any
    success so it must be some problem at this end. I'll try restarting the PC.

    Chris

  6. #6
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Problem downloading Excel template

    FWIW I found the actual XLT in this folder on my machine:

    C:\Documents and Settings\jarech\Local Settings\Temp\TCDD6.tmp

    I don't suppose you'll have better luck copying it from your temp file to
    your templates folder but you might try it. Your templates folder would
    probably be:

    C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates

    --
    Jim
    "Chris Burgess" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Any of the 'Budget' templates - e.g. Personal Budget, Garden Budget etc.
    | I've just tried opening the Balance Sheet template as well without any
    | success so it must be some problem at this end. I'll try restarting the
    PC.

    | Chris
    |
    | "Jim Rech" wrote:
    |
    | > I just tried it and you are right. It seems MS doesn't want you saving
    the
    | > XLT locally. But the template I tried, the Balance Sheet, opened fine.
    | > have no idea why you crash but I don't think it's a cookie issue. Which
    | > template did you try to get?
    | >
    | > --
    | > Jim
    | > "Chris Burgess" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    | > news:[email protected]...
    | > | There is only a 'Download' button option on the Microsoft Excel
    templates
    | > | pages which automatically opens Excel. You cannot Save by right
    clicking
    | > the
    | > | button.
    | > |
    | > | Chris
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Rech" wrote:
    | > |

    | > message
    | > | > |
    | > close.
    | > | > |
    | > cookies.
    | > | > |

  7. #7
    Chris Burgess
    Guest

    Re: Problem downloading Excel template

    Great stuff - works a treat. Can't understand what the problem is, but very
    many thanks for the workaround!

    Cheers
    Chris