how do i convert names to initials in excel

  1. #1
    dave glynn
    Guest

    how do i convert names to initials in excel

    I have a list of names in excel such as

    Bill Smith
    Joe Bloggs
    Jock McTavish

    The entire name (forename and surname) is contained in one cell.

    The forename and surname are "space" delimited.

    How do I convert the forenames to initials so that the list will read

    B Smith
    J Bloggs
    J McTavish

    Thanks

    Dave Glynn

  2. #2
    Niek Otten
    Guest

    Re: how do i convert names to initials in excel

    =LEFT(A1,1)&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1)+1)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Niek Otten

    Microsoft MVP - Excel

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    dave glynn
    Guest

    Re: how do i convert names to initials in excel

    Many thanks Niek

    Dave