Vlookup data discrepancy

  1. #1
    EK
    Guest

    Vlookup data discrepancy

    How do I remove the hidden apostrophy in a cell (see e.g.)? I have tried
    Find/Replace, changed the Alignment and formatted the cell but failed.

    e.g.

    'alphanumericdata

  2. #2
    Earl Kiosterud
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup data discrepancy

    EK,

    That apostrophe means that the cell contains text. Why do you care that it's
    there? In general, you can just leave it. It' won't show up in the cell,
    won't print.
    --
    Earl Kiosterud
    www.smokeylake.com

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    EK
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup data discrepancy

    I am referencing the cells (200 rows) during vlookup and the cells have
    random mix of formats, i.e., some are with apostrophe and some without. This
    caused a #N/A even though the data are there. I would like to cleanup the
    cells so all the data do not have the apostrophe.

  4. #4

    Re: Vlookup data discrepancy

    Not sure if this is why you want to remove the apostrophe, but if your
    hidden apostrophe is in front of a zero and you need to display the
    number with leading zeros but no apostrophes : To get 0123456 from
    '123456 :

    Column A Column B
    '123456 =RIGHT("0000000"&A12,7)

  5. #5
    EK
    Guest

    Re: Vlookup data discrepancy

    I apologise. Let me try to illustrate:

    File A data VLOOKUP value --> File B data RESULT
    'abc123 abc123 #N/A

    I would like to remove the apostrophe in the data in File A.

    Thanks.